The Blurring of Distinctions between Financial Sectors: Fact or Fiction?
This paper measures the 'blurring of distinctions' phenomenon in an innovative way, namely by means of a breakdown of the revenues of the 50 largest financial groups worldwide. These data show that the blurring of distinctions between financial intermediaries of different nationalities (i.e. international blurring) is clearly more important than the blurring of distinctions between different types of financial intermediaries (i.e. cross-sector blurring). At the same time, there are many initiatives on a national level to cope with the cross-sector blurring of distinctions, whereas so far relatively little initiatives have been taken to respond to the international blurring of distinctions.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John, Kose & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Asset sales and increase in focus," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 105-126, January.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999.
"International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," NBER Working Papers 7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anonymous, 1997. "Secretary-Treasurer'S Report," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Oecd, 1997. "Sacher Report," OECD Digital Economy Papers 29, OECD Publishing.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Agnes Belaisch & Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Laura E. Kodres & Angel J. Ubide, 2001. "Euro-Area Banking At the Crossroads," IMF Working Papers 01/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Anonymous, 1997. "Editors' Report, February 1997," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Richard K. Abrams & Michael Taylor, 2000. "Issues in the Unification of Financial Sector Supervision," IMF Working Papers 00/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Giorgio Di Giorgio & Carmine Di Noia, 2001. "Financial Regulation and Supervision in the Euro Area: A Four-Peak Proposal," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-02, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbocs:102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.