Semiparametric analysis to estimate the deal effect curve
The marketing literature suggests several phenomena that may contribute to the shape of the relationship between sales and price discounts. These phenomena can produce severe nonlinearities and interactions in the curves, and we argue that those are best captured with a flexible approach. Since a fully nonparametric regression model suffers from the curse of dimensionality, we propose a semiparametric regression model. Store-level sales over time is modeled as a nonparametric function of own-and cross-item price discounts, and a parametric function of other predictors (all indicator variables). We compare the predictive validity of the semiparametric model with that of two parametric benchmark models and obtain better performance on average. The results for three product categories indicate a.o. threshold- and saturation effects for both own- and cross-item temporary price cuts. We also show how the own-item curve depends on other items’ price discounts (flexible interaction effects). In a separate analysis, we show how the shape of the deal effect curve depends on own-item promotion signals. Our results indicate that prevailing methods for the estimation of deal effects on sales are inadequate.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 50 363 7185
Fax: +31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://som.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & O. LINTON, 1995. "Nonparametric Regression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,29, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Oliver LINTON, . "Applied nonparametric methods," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521429504 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dgr:rugsom:99b35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.