A Tale of Two Factions: Exploring the Relationship between Factional Faultlines and Conflict Management in Pension Fund Boards
We examine the effect of factional demographic faultlines between two naturally occurring factions within Dutch pension fund boards on conflict management within these boards. Data on 313 Dutch pension fund boards confirm that factional demographic faultlines are positively related to competitive conflict management and moderately negatively related to cooperative conflict management. As predicted by faultline theory, these relationships are mediated by perceived subgroup formation. A noteworthy finding with clear managerial implications is that the disruptive effects from factional demographic faultlines are attenuated by board reflexivity. Moderated mediation analyses corroborate these findings.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 50 363 7185
Fax: +31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://som.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Guoquan Chen & Chunhong Liu & Dean Tjosvold, 2005. "Conflict Management for Effective Top Management Teams and Innovation in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 277-300, 03.
- Geoffrey C. Kiel & Gavin J. Nicholson, 2005. "Evaluating Boards and Directors," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 613-631, 09.
- Alessandro Minichilli & Jonas Gabrielsson & Morten Huse, 2007. "Board Evaluations: making a fit between the purpose and the system," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 609-622, 07.
- Richard Leblanc, 2005. "Assessing Board Leadership," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 654-666, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dgr:rugsom:12001-hrmob. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.