Is size important for the investment-uncertainty relationship? : an empirical analyses for Dutch firms
Abstract By using data from a survey amongst a panel of Dutch firms we investigate whether the investment-uncertainty relationship depends on the size of the firm. We find that uncertainty has a positive effect on investment of small firms, whereas it is negative for large firms. There are probably two reasons for this outcome. First, both small and large Dutch firms do not seem to be financially constrained. Second, sunk costs are much higher for large than for small Dutch firms.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 50 363 7185
Fax: +31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://som.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peeters, Marga, 1997.
"Does demand and price uncertainty affect Belgian and Spanish corporate investment?,"
23604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marga PEETERS, 2001. "Does Demand and Price Uncertainty affect Belgian and Spanish Corporate Investment?," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993.
"Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1148, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- John V. Leahy & Toni M. Whited, 1995.
"The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts,"
NBER Working Papers
4986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leahy, John V & Whited, Toni M, 1996. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 64-83, February.
- Pindyck, Robert, 1989.
"Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
294, The World Bank.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1990. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 3307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Working papers 3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1983. "Optimal Investment under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 228-33, March.
- Simon Price, . "Aggregate uncertainty, investment and asymmetric adjustment in the UK manufacturing sector," Economics Discussion Papers 441, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Catherine Pattillo, 1998. "Investment, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility in Ghana," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(3), pages 522-553, September.
- Ferderer, J Peter, 1993. "The Impact of Uncertainty on Aggregate Investment Spending: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 30-48, February.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Hartman, Richard, 1972. "The effects of price and cost uncertainty on investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 258-266, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dgr:rugsom:00e03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.