International convergence and divergence of material input structures: an industry-level perspective
This note analyzes whether international material input structures have converged or diverged over time. Pooled variances for 25 industries were obtained from OECD input-output tables in constant prices for nine countries over the period 1971-1990. It is found that high-tech industries were mainly characterized by divergence of material input structures, whereas convergence was found for many low-tech, more mature industries. In line with studies on (labor) productivity growth rates, convergence of material input structures was prevalent in the 1970s, while divergence dominated in the 1980s.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 50 363 7185
Fax: +31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://ggdc.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1987.
"A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 87-99, August.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1987. "A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ," Working Papers Archives 1987002, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2001.
"The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach,"
CCSO Working Papers
200112, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2005. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: An empirical approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 517-531, August.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2003. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach," GGDC Research Memorandum 200361, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Chris Freeman & Luc Soete, 1997. "The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262061953, June.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dgr:rugggd:200470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.