Développement financier et ouverture au commerce
This paper proposes an international trade model under uncertainty in which international differences in financial development provide the basis for trade. When preferences exhibit risk vulnerability as defined by Gollier and Pratt , financial development reduces individuals’ risk aversion. Hence, international differences in financial development can induce international differences in risk aversion. We show that all the individuals have the feeling that trade is welfare improving before the resolution of uncertainty. So, all individuals are in favour of free trade ex ante. But, the ex post welfare of the more risk averse country can decrease after the resolution of uncertainty. Contrary to the less risk averse country, the more risk averse country, with the less developed financial system, is likely to regret his decision in favour of free trade commitment.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahier de recherche EURISCO, 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "The law of large numbers with a continuum of IID random variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 19-25, February.
- Weil, P., 1991.
"Equilibrium Asset Prices with Undiversifiable Labor Income Risk,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1564, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Weil, Philippe, 1992. "Equilibrium asset prices with undiversifiable labor income risk," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 769-790.
- Philippe Weil, 1992. "Equilibrium Asset Prices With Undiversifiable Labor Income Risk," NBER Working Papers 3975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monica Paiella & Luigi Guiso, 2004.
"Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk,"
2004 Meeting Papers
525, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Paiella, Monica, 2001. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 2728, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2007. "Risk Aversion, Wealth, and Background Risk," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/47, European University Institute.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2003. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 483, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Frederic Peltrault & Michel Blanchard, 2004. "The welfare effects of international trade with optimistic and pessimistic managers," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(15), pages 1-10.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michel Blanchard & Frédéric Peltrault, 2005. "Psychologie des entrepreneurs, localisation des activités innovantes et pertes à l'échange international," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(1), pages 127-145.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Shy, Oz, 1988. "A general equilibrium model of pareto inferior trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 143-154, August.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Prescott, Edward C., 1974. "Equilibrium search and unemployment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 188-209, February.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.