The impact of outward FDI on the domestic perimeter of manufacturing groups
This article aims to analyze the structure and the performance of multinational firms at the group level, and to estimate the impact of outward FDI on the domestic perimeter of manufacturing groups. This empirical work anticipates a major reshape of business statistics, which does not consider Legal Entities (LEs) as the relevant unit for economic analysis. In order to construct new statistical units which enjoy some degrees of autonomy, we use a French dataset (“LiFi”) which allows gathering all French LEs which belong to the same group. We show that nearly all multinational firms in the French manufacturing sector are organized around several LEs and we describe the implications of this organizational choice in terms of market structure and performance. Following firms which invest abroad for the first time reveals that outward FDI has a positive effect on the whole domestic perimeter of groups, since value-added, employment and exports significantly increase ex-post. The growth of employment is especially high in companies dedicated to auxiliary functions so the share of employees in the manufacturing perimeter tends to decrease after the investment.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in DIAL Document de travail, 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sascha O. Becker & Karolina Ekholm & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2009.
"Offshoring and the Onshore Composition of Tasks and Skills,"
IAW Discussion Papers
55, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Becker, Sascha O. & Ekholm, Karolina & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2013. "Offshoring and the onshore composition of tasks and skills," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 91-106.
- Becker, Sascha & Ekholm, Karolina & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2012. "Offshoring and the Onshore Composition of Tasks and Skills," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 97, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Becker, Sascha O. & Ekholm, Karolina & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2009. "Offshoring and the Onshore Composition of Tasks and Skills," CEPR Discussion Papers 7391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Becker, Sascha & Ekholm, Karolina & Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2009. "Offshoring and the Onshore Composition of Tasks and Skills," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2009-18, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Castellani, Davide & Mariotti, Ilaria & Piscitello, Lucia, 2008. "The impact of outward investments on parent company's employment and skill composition: Evidence from the Italian case," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 81-94, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bandick, Roger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2011. "Employment effects of foreign acquisition," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 211-224, April.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2002. "Offshore production and skill upgrading by Japanese manufacturing firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 81-105, October.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani & Anne-Célia Disdier, 2010. "How does investing in cheap labour countries affect performance at home? Firm-level evidence from France and Italy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 234-260, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/9019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.