Forms and Determinants of R&D Collaborations: Evidence Based on French Data
The literature on R&D collaboration highlights a broad set of rationales for allying with other organizations. At the same time, it has been reported that there exists a large variety of forms of collaboration. Nevertheless, the relation between the motives to collaborate and the different forms of collaboration has not been examined. In this paper, we attempt to fill this gap by highlighting and explaining the heterogeneity in the forms of collaboration as a result of several interdependent simultaneous choices. Using a sample of more than 3,000 R&D collaborations, a typology of their characteristics allows us to distinguish five discrete forms of collaboration. Then using a multinomial logit estimation, we show how the forms of collaboration vary according to the firms' attributes (size, R&D internal effort, group membership), market and objectives pursued. We also obtain new results on the effects of incoming spillovers as well as appropriability conditions.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Industry and Innovation, 2010, Vol. 17, no. 6. pp. 551-576.Length: 25 pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004.
"R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -," Discussion Paper Series 222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Sakakibara, Mariko, 1997. "Evaluating government-sponsored R&D consortia in Japan: who benefits and how?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 447-473, December.
- Klaus Brockhoff, 1992. "R&D Cooperation Between Firms---A Perceived Transaction Cost Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 514-524, April.
- Mitchell, Will & Singh, Kulwant, 1992. "Incumbents' use of pre-entry alliances before expansion into new technical subfields of an industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 347-372, August.
- Rachel Levy & Pascale Roux & Sandrine Wolff, 2006. "A Study Of Science-Industry Collaborative Patterns In A Large European University," Working Papers of BETA 2006-27, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000.
"Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gamal Atallah, 2002. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 179-209.
- ATALLAH, Gamal, 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Atallah, G., 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, And Innovation," Industrial Organization 0004009, EconWPA.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, Eitan & Zang, Israel, 1992. "Research Joint Ventures and R&D Cartels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1293-306, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, .
"Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin & Diederen, Bert & Lokshin, Boris & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2004.
"Heterogeneity in R&D cooperation strategies,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1237-1263, November.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998.
"Who Cooperates on R&D?,"
Freiberg Working Papers
1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2002. "An empirical test of models explaining research expenditures and research cooperation: evidence for the German service sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 747-774, June.
- Lopez, Alberto, 2008. "Determinants of R&D cooperation: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 113-136, January.
- Teece, David J., 1986.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Carayol, Nicolas, 2003. "Objectives, agreements and matching in science-industry collaborations: reassembling the pieces of the puzzle," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 887-908, June.
- Kleinknecht, Alfred & Reijnen, Jeroen O. N., 1992. "Why do firms cooperate on R&D? an empirical study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 347-360, August.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2003.
"R&D Cooperation Between Firms and Universities: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgian Manufacturing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 2005. "R&D cooperation between firms and universities. Some empirical evidence from Belgian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 355-379, June.
- Peter Huber, 2003.
"On the Determinants of Cross Border Co-operation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p238, European Regional Science Association.
- Peter Huber, 2003. "On the Determinants of Cross-border Cooperation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 947-955.
- Peter Huber, 2003. "On the Determinants of Cross Border Co-operation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners," WIFO Working Papers 201, WIFO.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Shapiro, Carl & Willig, Robert D, 1990. "On the Antitrust Treatment of Production Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 113-30, Summer.
- Patrick Greenlee & Bruno Cassiman, 1999. "Product market objectives and the formation of research joint ventures," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 115-130.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/6963. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.