External referencing and pharmaceutical price negociation
External referencing (ER) imposes a price cap for pharmaceuticals, based on prices of identical or comparable products in foreign countries. Suppose a foreign country (F) negotiates prices with a pharmaceutical firm, whereas a home country (H) can either negotiate prices independently or implement ER, based on the foreign price. We show that country H prefers ER if copayments in H are relatively high. This preference is reinforced when H's population is small. Irrespective of relative country sizes, ER by country H harms country F. Our model is inspired by the wide European experience with this cost-containment policy. Namely, in Europe, drug authorization and price negotiations are carried out by separate agencies. We confirm our main results in two extensions. The first one allows for therapeutic competition between drugs. In the second one, drug authorization and price negotiation take place in a single agency.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Health Economics, 2011, Vol. 20, no. 6. pp. 737-756.Length: 19 pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miraldo, Marisa, 2009. "Reference pricing and firms' pricing strategies," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 176-197, January.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Stevik, K., 1996.
"Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation,"
01/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr & Kristin Stevik, 1998. "Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 113-126, July.
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007.
"The determinants of pricing in pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?,"
Economics Working Papers
1032, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Antonio Cabrales, 2007. "The determinants of pricing in pharmaceuticals : are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?," Economics Working Papers we074021, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007. "The Determinants of Pricing in Pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. Prices Really Higher than Those of Canada?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 697.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007. "The Determinants of Pricing in Pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?," Working Papers 304, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Tom Stargardt & Jonas Schreyogg, 2006. "Impact of Cross-Reference Pricing on Pharmaceutical Prices: Manufacturers' Pricing Strategies and Price Regulation," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 5(4), pages 235-247.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2003.
"The Impact of Price Regulation on the Launch Delay of New Drugs - Evidence from Twenty-Five Major Markets in the 1990s,"
NBER Working Papers
9874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2005. "The impact of price regulation on the launch delay of new drugs-evidence from twenty-five major markets in the 1990s," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 269-292.
- Robert C. Marshall & Antonio Merlo, 2004.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(1), pages 239-255, 02.
- Izabela Jelovac, 2015. "On the relationship between the negotiated prices of pharmaceuticals and the patients' co-payment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 35(1), pages 481-493.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Danzon, Patricia M & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Does Regulation Drive out Competition in Pharmaceutical Markets?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 311-57, October.
- Jorge Mestre Ferrándiz, 1999. "The impact of generic goods in the pharmaceutical industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 599-612.
- Valérie Paris & Elizabeth Docteur, 2008. "Pharmaceutical Pricing and Reimbursement Policies in Germany," OECD Health Working Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Pecorino, Paul, 2002. "Should the US allow prescription drug reimports from Canada?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 699-708, July.
- Brekke, Kurt R & Königbauer, Ingrid & Straume, Odd Rune, 2005.
"Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals,"
Working Papers in Economics
19/05, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Merkur, Sherry & Mossialos, Elias, 2007. "A pricing policy towards the sourcing of cheaper drugs in Cyprus," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 81(2-3), pages 368-375, May.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2004. "Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in Spain," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 149-165, February.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Alexander Heuer & Malwina Mejer & Jennifer Neuhaus, 2007. "The National Regulation of Pharmaceutical Markets and the Timing of New Drug Launches in Europe," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 437, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Cooper, Thomas E. & Fries, Timothy L., 1991. "The most-favored-nation pricing policy and negotiated prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 209-223, June.
- Anke Richter, 2008. "Assessing the Impact of Global Price Interdependencies," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 26(8), pages 649-659.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Cross-national price differences for pharmaceuticals: how large, and why?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 159-195, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/5987. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.