Celebrities in advertising: the role of congruency
The concept of congruence has been used in many research streams like brand extensions, sponsorship, or advertising. This paper aims to show the interest of considering this concept through the two dimensions proposed by Heckler and Childers (1992): relevancy and expectancy, in the case of celebrity endorsers in advertising. In order to measure this concept, we will then develop and empirically test a scale adapted from the works of Fleck-Dousteyssier, Darpy and Roux (2005) on sponsorship.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahiers DMSP, 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheinin, Daniel A. & Schmitt, Bernd H., 1994. "Extending brands with new product concepts: The role of category attribute congruity, brand affect, and brand breadth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-10, September.
- Kahle, Lynn R & Homer, Pamela M, 1985. " Physical Attractiveness of the Celebrity Endorser: A Social Adaptation Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(4), pages 954-61, March.
- McCracken, Grant, 1989. " Who Is the Celebrity Endorser? Cultural Foundations of the Endorsement Process," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 310-21, December.
- Heckler, Susan E & Childers, Terry L, 1992. " The Role of Expectancy and Relevancy in Memory for Verbal and Visual Information: What Is Incongruency?," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 475-92, March.
- Meyers-Levy, Joan & Tybout, Alice M, 1989. " Schema Congruity as a Basis for Product Evaluation," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 39-54, June.
- Misra, Shekhar & Beatty, Sharon E., 1990. "Celebrity spokesperson and brand congruence : An assessment of recall and affect," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 159-173, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/4202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.