Afriat's theorem for general budget sets
Afriat proved the equivalence of a variant of the strong axiom of revealed preference and the existence of a solution to a set of linear inequalities. From this solution he constructed a utility function rationalizing the choices of a competitive consumer. We extend Afriat's theorem to a class of nonlinear, nonconvex budget sets. We thereby obtain testable implications of rational behavior for a wide class of economic environments, and a constructive method to derive individual preferences from observed choices. We also show that by increasing in a regular way the number of observed choices from our class of budget sets one can fully identify the underlying preference relation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economic Theory, 2009, Vol. 144, no. 1. pp. 135-145.Length: 10 pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1973. "Afriat and Revealed Preference Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 419-25, July.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004.
"Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
632, Econometric Society.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1978. "On Revealed Preference Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 121-31, February.
- Chiara Dalla Nogare & Roberto Ricciuti, . "Chief Executives' Term Limits and Fiscal Policy Choices: International Evidence," Working Papers ubs0411, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L, 1993. "On Generalized Revealed Preference Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(2), pages 493-506, May.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-86, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1977. "The Recoverability of Consumers' Preferences from Market Demand Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1409-30, September.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Maria Laura Parisi, 2005. "Which Plans to Reduce the Digital Divide? Policy Evaluation and Social Interaction," Working Papers ubs0509, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Sahi, Siddhartha, 2003. "Price-mediated trade with quantity signals: an axiomatic approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 377-389, July.
- Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, . "Le determinanti del tasso di sconto in Italia negli anni 1876-1913: un'analisi empirica e documentale," Working Papers ubs0405, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "On the Testable Implications of Collective Choice Theories," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 205-232, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/4099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.