Share repurchase regulations: do firms play by the rules?
Open market share repurchases are strictly regulated to prevent companies from profiting from insider information. We examine compliance with these rules in France, where the mandatory disclosure of share repurchases provides detailed information on repurchases actually undertaken. Using a database containing 36,848 repurchases made by 352 French firms over the period 2000-2002, we show that very few firms fully comply with the regulations for all their buybacks. Non-compliance has an adverse effect on liquidity only for the smallest and least liquid firms.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edith Ginglinger & Jacques Hamon, 2007. "Actual share repurchases, timing and liquidity," Post-Print halshs-00136568, HAL.
- Elias Raad & H. K. Wu, 1995. "Insider Trading Effects On Stock Returns Around Open-Market Stock Repurchase Announcements: An Empirical Study," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(1), pages 45-57, 03.
- Seyhun, H. Nejat, 1986. "Insiders' profits, costs of trading, and market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-212, June.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Lee, Inmoo, 2001. "Are Insider Trades Informative?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 79-111.
- Leslie A. Jeng & Andrew Metrick & Richard Zeckhauser, 2003. "Estimating the Returns to Insider Trading: A Performance-Evaluation Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 453-471, May.
- William J. Mcnally & Brian F. Smith, 2003. "Do Insiders Play by the Rules?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(2), pages 125-143, June.
- Bruno Biais & Pierre Hillion & Chester Spatt, 1999. "Price Discovery and Learning during the Preopening Period in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1218-1248, December.
- Hans R. Stoll, .
"The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
13-77, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978. "The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1153-72, September.
- Zhang, Hua, 2005. "Share price performance following actual share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1887-1901, July.
- Meulbroek, Lisa K, 1992. " An Empirical Analysis of Illegal Insider Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1661-99, December.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 2000.
"Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2373-2397, October.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1999. "Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading," NBER Working Papers 7325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamon, Jacques & Ginglinger, Edith, 2007.
"Actual share repurchases, timing and liquidity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/1748, Paris Dauphine University.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-Francois L'her, 2006.
"Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 77-94.
- Ginglinger, Edith & L'Her, Jean-François, 2006. "Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/399, Paris Dauphine University.
- Brockman, Paul & Chung, Dennis Y., 2001. "Managerial timing and corporate liquidity: *1: evidence from actual share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 417-448, September.
- Durnev, Art A. & Nain, Amrita S., 2007. "Does insider trading regulation deter private information trading? International evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 409-433, November.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2004. "The Information Content of Share Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 651-680, 04.
- Fried, Jesse M., 2005. "Informed Trading and False Signaling with Open Market Repurchases," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt8x6082cn, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Douglas O. Cook & Laurie Krigman & J. Chris Leach, 2003. "An Analysis of SEC Guidelines for Executing Open Market Repurchases," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(2), pages 289-316, April.
- Utpal Bhattacharya & Hazem Daouk, 2002. "The World Price of Insider Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 75-108, 02.
- Harris, Lawrence E, 1994. "Minimum Price Variations, Discrete Bid-Ask Spreads, and Quotation Sizes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 149-78.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/2937. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.