A microeconometric analysis of household savings determinants in Morocco
This article provides an analysis of the microeconomic determinants of household savings behaviour in Morocco according to geographical household residence. Descriptive statistics seem to indicate a similar savings pattern in both rural and urban areas but the econometric results do not support this conclusion. Current income strongly affects the savings level in the urban area whereas the literacy of the household’s head is determinant in the rural one. However, the results do not confirm the life cycle hypothesis. The household’s size has a significant negative impact only in the urban case, while women heads of household save more than men, except for highest income levels. The results clearly show that urban and rural households behave differently with regards to savings.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in African Review of Money Finance and Banking, 2010. pp. 7-27.Length: 20 pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 2000.
"Does income inequality raise aggregate saving?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 417-446, April.
- Loayza, N. & Schmidt, K. & Serven, L., 1999.
"What Drives Private Saving Across the World?,"
47, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Denizer, Cevdet & Wolf, Holger & Ying, Yvonne, 2002. "Household Savings in the Transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 463-475, September.
- Khaled A. Hussein & A.P. Thirlwall, 1999.
"Explaining Differences in the Domestic Savings Ratio Across Countries: A Panel Data Study,"
Studies in Economics
9904, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Khaled Hussein & A. P. Thirlwall, 1999. "Explaining differences in the domestic savings ratio across countries: A panel data study," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 31-52.
- Kivilcim Metin Ozcan & Asli Gunay & Seda Ertac, 2003. "Determinants of private savings behaviour in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1405-1416.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1996. "Why are Latin America's savings rates so low? An international comparative analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 5-44, October.
- John K Gibson & Grant M Scobie, 2001. "Household Saving Behaviour in New Zealand: A Cohort Analysis," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/18, New Zealand Treasury.
- Suruga, Terukazu & Tachibanaki, Toshiaki, 1991. "The Effect of Household Characteristics on Saving Behaviour and the Theory of Savings in Japan," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 351-62.
- Carpenter, Seth B & Jensen, Robert T, 2002. "Household Participation in Formal and Informal Savings Mechanisms: Evidence from Pakistan," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 314-28, October.
- Mark C. Foley & William Pyle, 2005. "Household Savings in Russia during the Transition," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0522, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Karim El Aynaoui, 2005. "Politiques du marché du travail et chômage au Maroc : une analyse quantitative," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 13(1), pages 5-51.
- James Ang, 2009. "Household Saving Behaviour in an Extended Life Cycle Model: A Comparative Study of China and India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1344-1359.
- Dmitry Kulikov & Karsten Staehr, . "Microeconometric analysis of household saving in Estonia: income, wealth, financial exposure," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2007-8, Bank of Estonia, revised 03 Feb 2015.
- Amimo, Oliveira & Larson, Donald W. & Bittencourt, Maurício Vaz Lobo & Graham, Douglas H., 2003. "The Potential For Financial Savings In Rural Mozambican Households," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25921, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/12164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.