Aspiration failure: a poverty trap for indigenous children in Peru?
This paper aims to contribute to understand the mechanisms underlying the complex exclusion process of indigenous people in Peru, by analysing the role played by aspirations in the investment in education of indigenous children. To address these issues, the paper relies on a very rich data set, the Young Lives data, and use an original instrument that allow to cast light on the causal relation between aspiration and educational outcomes. We find that aspiration failure is a channel of inequality persistence between indigenous and non-indigenous people, but that aspiration failure do not takes the form of a lack of aspiration. Indigenous children do not have internalized racial schemas about occupation or about their opportunities. However, the gap between their aspiration and their current socio-economic status is too large, in so far as it has a disincentive effect on forward-looking behaviour.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2015|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in World Development, 2015, Vol. 72|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piketty, Thomas, 1998. "Self-fulfilling beliefs about social status," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 115-132, October.
- Aonghas St-Hilaire, 2002. "The Social Adaptation of Children of Mexican Immigrants: Educational Aspirations Beyond Junior High School," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1026-1043.
- Lionel Page & Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 2007.
"Aspiration Levels and Educational Choices : An experimental study,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Page, Lionel & Levy Garboua, Louis & Montmarquette, Claude, 2007. "Aspiration levels and educational choices: An experimental study," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 747-757, December.
- Lionel Page & Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 2006. "Aspiration Levels and Educational Choices An experimental study," CIRANO Working Papers 2006s-27, CIRANO.
- Hugo Nopo & Jaime Saavedra & Maximo Torero, 2004.
"Ethnicity and Earnings in Urban Peru,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0405, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Juan Ansión & Alejandro Lazarte & Silvia Matos & José Rodríguez & Pablo Vega-Centeno, 1998. "Educación: la mejor herencia. Decisiones educativas y expectativas de los padres de familia," Libros PUCP / PUCP Books, Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, edition 1, number lde-1998-01, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"Reversal of Fortune: Geography and Institutions in the Making of the Modern World Income Distribution,"
NBER Working Papers
8460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2002. "Reversal Of Fortune: Geography And Institutions In The Making Of The Modern World Income Distribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1231-1294, November.
- Stefan Dercon & Tanguy Bernard and Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, 2011.
"Beyond fatalism - an empirical exploration of self-efficacy and aspirations failure in Ethiopia,"
Economics Series Working Papers
CSAE WPS/2011-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Dercon, Stefan & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2011. "Beyond fatalism: An empirical exploration of self-efficacy and aspirations failure in Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 1101, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bernard, Tanguy & Dercon, Stefan & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2012. "Beyond fatalism: An empirical exploration of self-efficacy and aspirations failure in Ethiopia:," ESSP working papers 46, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tanguy Bernard & Stefan Dercon & Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, 2011. "Beyond Fatalism - An empirical exploration of self-efficacy and aspirations failure in Ethiopia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2011-03, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Carolina Trivelli, 2005. "Una mirada cuantitativa a la situación de pobreza de los hogares indígenas en el Perú," Revista Economía, Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, issue 55-56, pages 83-158.
- Santiago Cueto, 2007. "Las evaluaciones nacionales e internacionales de rendimiento escolar en el Perú: balance y perspectivas," Capitulos de Libros, in: Grade (ed.), Investigación, políticas y desarrollo en el Perú, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 405-455 Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE).
- Adolfo Figueroa, 2006.
"El problema del empleo en una sociedad sigma,"
Documentos de Trabajo / Working Papers
2006-249, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Adolfo Figueroa, 2009. "El problema del empleo en una sociedad sigma," Capítulos de Libros PUCP / Chapters of PUCP books, in: Efraín Gonzales de Olarte & Javier M. Iguiñiz Echeverría (ed.), Desarrollo económico y bienestar. Homenaje a Máximo Vega-Centeno, edition 1, chapter 6, pages 153-206 Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens, 1995.
"Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W & Angrist, Joshua D, 1994. "Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 467-75, March.
- Escobal, Javier & Flores, Eva, 2008. "An Assessment of the Young Lives Sampling Approach in Peru," MPRA Paper 56483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2012.
"Measuring aspirations: Discussion and example from Ethiopia:,"
ESSP working papers
47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bernard, Tanguy & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2012. "Measuring aspirations: discussion and example from Ethiopia:," IFPRI discussion papers 1190, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00203145 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/12016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.