Life cycle accumulation and aging risks
How to de ne the most appropriate institutional framework that could encourage to better plan retirement? The French population used to consider that the PAYG public pension system should finance pensions. The pension system being based on an insurance principle and intergenerational risk sharing, once retired, households estimate that the public system has to provide them an adequate level of pension. But in the context of pension reforms, the replacement rates provided by the PAYG pension system are going to decrease. Households will need to increase their savings rates to maintain their standard of living during retirement. We test the impact of new risks and aspects of the aging issue on retirement related asset holding behaviour. We integrate the longevity and disability risks, the impact of the public pension information system, which is a way to improve private nancial education and awareness, and psychological variables. We estimate bivariate probit models to better understand these behaviours. Our results indicate that the households change their mind and adapt their behaviour to new economic and demographic issues. The implementation of the pension information right allows them to increase their private savings for the retirement and the life expectancy at old age increases the probability to hold an annuity contract.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Katherine Grace Carman & Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 2002.
"The mismatch between life insurance holdings and financial vulnerabilities: evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances,"
0201, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Katherine Grace Carman & Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 2001. "The Mismatch Between Life Insurance Holdings and Financial Vulnerabilities: Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," NBER Working Papers 8544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 2001.
"Imperfect Knowledge, Retirement and Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
8406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Verger & André Masson & Luc Arrondel, 2008.
"Le patrimoine en France : état des lieux, historique et perspectives,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 417(1), pages 3-25.
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, André & Verger, Daniel, 2009. "Le patrimoine en France : état des lieux, historique et perspectives," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5056, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Lemke, Robert J. & Scholz, John Karl, 2004.
"Do estate and gift taxes affect the timing of private transfers?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2617-2634, December.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Robert J. Lemke & John Karl Scholz, 2001. "Do Estate and Gift Taxes Affect the Timing of Private Transfers?," NBER Working Papers 8333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 2003.
"Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 586-604, August.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 1999. "Unemployment risk and precautionary wealth: evidence from households' balance sheets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher D Carroll & Karen E Dynan & Spencer D Krane, 1999. "Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets," Economics Working Paper Archive 416, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2005.
"Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing,"
CeRP Working Papers
46, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006. "Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing," DNB Working Papers 078, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Annamarie Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2005. "Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing," Working Papers wp108, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2011. "Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing," NBER Working Papers 17078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cagetti, Marco, 2003. "Wealth Accumulation over the Life Cycle and Precautionary Savings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 339-53, July.
- Karen E. Dynan & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, 2000.
"Do the Rich Save More?,"
NBER Working Papers
7906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Bryan Graham, 2003.
"Longevity and Life-cycle Savings,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(3), pages 319-338, 09.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel H. & Reil-Held, Anette & Rodepeter, Ralf & Schnabel, Reinhold & Winter, Joachim, 2001.
"The German Savings Puzzle,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20236, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel & Reil-Held, Anette & Rodepeter, Ralf & Schnabel, Reinhold & Winter, Joachim, 2000. "The German Savings Puzzle," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-07, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel & Reil-Held, Anette & Rodepeter, Ralf & Schnabel, Reinhold & Winter, Joachim, 2000. "The German Savings Puzzle," Discussion Papers 594, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Menchik, Paul L & David, Martin, 1983. "Income Distribution, Lifetime Savings, and Bequests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 672-90, September.
- Bernard, Philippe & El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat & Lavigne, Anne & Mahieu, Ronan, 2003. "Ageing and the Demand for Life Insurance : An Empirical Investigation using French Panel Data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6152, Paris Dauphine University.
- Blundell, Richard & Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1994.
"Consumer Demand and the Life-Cycle Allocation of Household Expenditures,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 57-80, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Costas Meghir, 1993. "Consumer demand and the life-cycle allocation of household expenditures," IFS Working Papers W93/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Axel H. Boersch-Supan & Joachim K. Winter, 2001. "Population Aging, Savings Behavior and Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 8561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Ameriks & Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 2003.
"Wealth Accumulation And The Propensity To Plan,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1007-1047, August.
- Briard, Karine & Duc, Cindy & El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat & Legendre, Bérangère & Mage-Bertomeu, Sabine, 2008. "Aléas de carrières des seniors et impact sur les retraites," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/411, Paris Dauphine University.
- Beverly, Sondra G. & Sherraden, Michael, 1999. "Institutional determinants of saving: implications for low-income households and public policy," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 457-473.
- El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat & Martins, Joaquim Oliveira, 2008. "Consumption Structure, Welfare Goods and Retirement Income: Linking the Ageing Puzzles," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2343, Paris Dauphine University.
- El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat & Kukla, Bénédicte & Legendre, Bérangère, 2010. "Les systèmes d’information sur les retraites en Europe et aux États-Unis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11272, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/11142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.