A micro-econometric analysis of care for the dependent elderly living at home in France: Is there a crowding-out effect of informal caregivers when an elderly dependent receives professional home care ?
This paper focuses on the trade-off between formal care and informal care for disabled elderly people living at home in France. Using data from the French\ Handicap Santé Ménages " survey (2008), we try to answer the question of the effect of an increase in formal home care hours on the participation of informal caregivers. We extend previous literature, which almost exclusively focuses on the e ect of informal care on formal home care. We first estimate a two-part instrumental variable model, to account for endogeneity of formal home care. Then we estimate a bivariate Tobit model in order to take into account the censor of our formal home care variable. Our results confirm that there is a crowding-out effect of informal caregivers, when the elderly dependent person receives more hours of formal home care. Nevertheless, the crowding-out effect of informal caregivers is much lower, when only medical formal home care increases.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne-Laure Samson & Eric Delattre, 2012.
"Stratégies de localisation des médecins généralistes français : mécanismes économiques ou hédonistes ?,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 455(1), pages 115-142.
- Samson, Anne-Laure & Delattre, Eric, 2011. "Stratégies de localisation des médecins généralistes français : mécanismes économiques ou hédonistes ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9519, Paris Dauphine University.
- Delattre, Eric & Samson, Anne-Laure, 2013. "Stratégies de localisation des médecins généralistes français : mécanismes économiques ou hédonistes ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11295, Paris Dauphine University.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Peter C. Coyte & Mark Stabile, 2001.
"Household Responses to Public Home Care Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
8523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K. Bolin & B. Lindgren & P. Lundborg, 2007.
"Informal and Formal Care among Single-living Elderly in Europe,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-031/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- K. Bolin & B. Lindgren & P. Lundborg, 2008. "Informal and formal care among single-living elderly in Europe," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 393-409.
- Charles, Kerwin Kofi & Sevak, Purvi, 2005. "Can family caregiving substitute for nursing home care?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1174-1190, November.
- Eric Bonsang, 2008.
"Does Informal Care from Children to their Elderly Parents Substitute for Formal Care in Europe?,"
CREPP Working Papers
0801, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Bonsang, Eric, 2009. "Does informal care from children to their elderly parents substitute for formal care in Europe?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 143-154, January.
- Viitanen, Tarja, 2007.
"Informal and Formal Care in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2648, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Duan, Naihua, et al, 1983. "A Comparison of Alternative Models for the Demand for Medical Care," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 115-26, April.
- Van Houtven, Courtney Harold & Norton, Edward C., 2004. "Informal care and health care use of older adults," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1159-1180, November.
- Fontaine, Roméo, 2011. "The trade-off between work and informal care in Europe," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7941, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:papers:123456789/10723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.