Numerical Explorations of the Ngai-Pissarides Model of Growth and Structural Change
In this paper we specialize the Ngai-Pissarides model of growth and structural change [American Economic Review 97 (2007), 429-443] to the case of three sectors, representing the primary (agriculture, mining), secondary (construction, manufacturing) and tertiary (services) sectors. On that basis we explore the dynamic properties of the model along the transition path to the steady-state equilibrium by numerical methods. Our explorations show that the model misses several stylized facts of structural change among these sectors. We propose several extensions of the model to align the model more closely with the facts.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics . 199 (2010-10)|
|Note:||for complete metadata visit http://tubiblio.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/46865/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 (0)6151 16-2701
Fax: ++49 (0)6151 16-6508
Web page: http://www.wi.tu-darmstadt.de/fachgebiete/fachgebiete_4/volkswirtschaftlichefachgebiete.de.jsp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maddison, A., 1991.
"A Long Run Perspective on Saving,"
443, Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research-.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon, Julian L, 1990. "Great and Almost-Great Magnitudes in Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 149-56, Winter.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991.
"International Trade with Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A. & Romer, Paul M., 1991. "International trade with endogenous technological change," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 971-1001, May.
- Oded_Galor, 2004.
"From Stagnation to Growth:Unified Growth Theory,"
2004-15, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2008. "Structural change, Engel's consumption cycles and Kaldor's facts of economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1317-1328, October.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2007.
"Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4468, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2007. "Structural Change in a Multisector Model of Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 429-443, March.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2004. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3550, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, Liwa Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher, 2004. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4763, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2005. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4656, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, L. Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2005. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 1800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andreas Dietrich & Jens J. Krüger, 2008.
"Long-Run Sectoral Development - Time Series Evidence for the German Economy,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-013, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Krüger, Jens J., 2010. "Long-run sectoral development: Time-series evidence for the German economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 111-122, May.
- Valerie Ramey & Neville Francis, 2006.
"A Century of Work and Leisure,"
- Meckl, Jürgen, 1999.
"Structural change and generalized balanced growth,"
Discussion Papers, Series I
298, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Juergen Meckl, 2000. "Structural Change and Generalized Balanced Growth," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0233, Econometric Society.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Jens J. Krüger, 2008. "Productivity And Structural Change: A Review Of The Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 330-363, 04.
- Peter Stemp & Ric Herbert, 2006. "Solving Non-Linear Models with Saddle-Path Instabilities," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 211-231, September.
- Feinstein, Charles, 1999. "Structural Change in the Developed Countries during the Twentieth Century," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(4), pages 35-55, Winter.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ramana Ramaswamy, 1999. "Growth, Trade, and Deindustrialization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 2.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Comparing Apples to Oranges: Productivity Convergence and Measurement across Industries and Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1216-38, December.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2006.
"Baumol's Diseases: A Macroeconomic Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
12218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis, Benjamin N. & Iscan, Talan B., 2009. "Engel versus Baumol: Accounting for structural change using two centuries of U.S. data," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 186-202, April.
- John W. Kendrick, 1961. "Productivity Trends in the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kend61-1, August.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1997. "Self-organization and economics--what is new?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 489-507, October.
- David N. Weil & Oded Galor, 2000. "Population, Technology, and Growth: From Malthusian Stagnation to the Demographic Transition and Beyond," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 806-828, September.
- David N. DeJong & Chetan Dave, 2007.
"Introduction to Structural Macroeconometrics
[Structural Macroeconometrics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Gomme, Paul & Rupert, Peter, 2007.
"Theory, measurement and calibration of macroeconomic models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 460-497, March.
- Paul Gomme & Peter Rupert, 2005. "Theory, measurement, and calibration of macroeconomic models," Working Paper 0505, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Brown, Murray & Heien, Dale M, 1972. "The S-Branch Utility Tree: A Generalization of the Linear Expenditure System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 737-47, July.
- Charles I. Jones, 2003. "Growth, capital shares, and a new perspective on production functions," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Bonatti, Luigi & Felice, Giulia, 2008. "Endogenous growth and changing sectoral composition in advanced economies," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 109-131, June.
- Echevarria, Cristina, 1997. "Changes in Sectoral Composition Associated with Economic Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 431-52, May.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1968. "The Service Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fuch68-1, August.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "Time Series Tests of Endogenous Growth Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 495-525, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dar:ddpeco:46865. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dekanatssekretariat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.