Investigating nonlinear speculation in cattle, corn, and hog futures markets using logistic smooth transition regression models
This article explores nonlinearities in the response of speculators’ trading activity to price changes in live cattle, corn, and lean hog futures markets. Analyzing weekly data from March 4, 1997 to December 27, 2005, we reject linearity in all of these markets. Using smooth transition regression models, we find a similar structure of nonlinearities with regard to the number of different regimes, the choice of the transition variable, and the value at which the transition occurs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics . 167 (2006-03)|
|Note:||for complete metadata visit http://tubiblio.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/36774/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 (0)6151 16-2701
Fax: ++49 (0)6151 16-6508
Web page: http://www.wi.tu-darmstadt.de/fachgebiete/fachgebiete_4/volkswirtschaftlichefachgebiete.de.jsp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo Mejia-Reyes & Denise Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2010.
"Modelling real exchange rate effects on output performance in Latin America,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(19), pages 2491-2503.
- P Mejía-Reyes & D R Osborn & M Sensier, 2004. "Modelling Real Exchange Rate Effects on Output Performance in Latin America," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 35, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Skalin, Joakim & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 359-78, July-Aug..
- Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1996. "Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 130, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Skalin and Terasvirta(1999) STAR models and causality tests," Statistical Software Components RTZ00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- J. Skalin & T. Teräsvirta, 1996. "Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,96, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hall, Anthony D. & Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "A nonlinear time series model of El Niño," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 263, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Wang, Changyun, 2001. "The behavior and performance of major types of futures traders," MPRA Paper 36426, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2002.
- H. Lütkepohl & T. Teräsvirta & J. Wolters, 1995.
"Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Terasvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jurgen, 1999. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 511-25, Sept.-Oct.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Teräsvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jürgen, 1995. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 64, Stockholm School of Economics.
- John R. Nofsinger & Richard W. Sias, 1999. "Herding and Feedback Trading by Institutional and Individual Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2263-2295, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dar:ddpeco:36774. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dekanatssekretariat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.