Economic Growth, Income Distribution and Economic Welfare in Canada 1975-1994
Assessment of trends in Canadian living standards is incomplete if family money incomes are not adjusted for the shrinking size of Canadian families. This paper uses OECD and Statistics Canada equivalence scales to examine the level and distribution of equivalent money income in 1975, 1981,1984, 1989 and 1994, using SCF micro-data and concentrates on inequality within and between birth cohorts. Less than 5% of aggregate income inequality is due to intergenerational inequality. From 1975 to 1989, all cohorts experienced rising average incomes, with no trend in intra-cohort inequality, except among senior citizens. The 1990's have, however, been a decade of declining average real equivalent income.
|Date of creation:||17 Dec 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (902) 494-2026
Fax: (902) 494-6917
Web page: http://www.economics.dal.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," NBER Working Papers 5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jenkins, S., 1988. "The Measurement Of Economic Inequality," Papers 170, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Garner, T.I. & Phipps, S., 1993.
"Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
93-02, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Phipps, Shelley & Garner, Thesia I, 1994. "Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Burbidge, John B & Magee, Lonnie & Robb, A Leslie, 1997. "Canadian Wage Inequality over the Last Two Decades," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 181-203.
- Peter Kuhn (McMaster) & A. Leslie Robb (McMaster), .
"Shifting Skill Demand and the Canada-US Unemployment Gap: Evidence from Prime-Age Men,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
01, McMaster University.
- Peter Kuhn & A. Leslie Robb, 1998. "Shifting Skill Demand and the Canada-US Unemployment Gap: Evidence from Prime-Age Men," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 170-191, February.
- Jenkins, Stephen P., 1995. "Did the middle class shrink during the 1980s? UK evidence from kernel density estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 407-413, October.
- Lars Osberg, 1998. "Economic Insecurity," Discussion Papers 0088, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Doiron, Denise J & Barrett, Garry F, 1996. "Inequality in Male and Female Earnings: The Role of Hours and Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 410-20, August.
- Osberg, Lars & Erksoy, Sadettin & Phipps, Shelley, 1998. "How to Value the Poorer Prospects of Youth in the Early 1990s?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 43-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dal:wparch:econgrow. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.