Monitoring Forecasting Combinations with Semiparametric Regression Models
In this study, a modelling framework is proposed for evaluating the accuracy of forecasting combinations when the number of available forecasts is large and changes in time. Squared forecast errors are modelled with a semiparametric additive regression model where the linear part involves indicator variables reflecting the time period when the forecast is performed and the nonparametric part involves a smooth function of the number of individual forecasts entering the combinations. The partial regression estimates permit two-dimensional plots of the relationship between squared forecast errors and the number of forecasts entering the combinations and can be used to assess the contribution of additional forecasts in reducing the forecast errors. The method is demonstrated with six empirical applications using macroeconomic forecasts published by Her Majesty’s Treasury.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-259, April.
- Cleveland, William S. & Devlin, Susan J. & Grosse, Eric, 1988. "Regression by local fitting : Methods, properties, and computational algorithms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 87-114, January.
- Fair, Ray C & Shiller, Robert J, 1990. "Comparing Information in Forecasts from Econometric Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 375-389, June.
- Ericsson, Neil R & Marquez, Jaime, 1993. "Encompassing the Forecasts of U.S. Trade Balance Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 19-31, February.
- Spyros Makridakis & Robert L. Winkler, 1983. "Averages of Forecasts: Some Empirical Results," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(9), pages 987-996, September.
- Mauro Costantini & Robert M. Kunst, 2011.
"Combining forecasts based on multiple encompassing tests in a macroeconomic core system,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 579-596, September.
- Costantini, Mauro & Kunst, Robert M., 2009. "Combining Forecasts Based on Multiple Encompassing Tests in a Macroeconomic Core System," Economics Series 243, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fang, Yue, 2003. "Forecasting combination and encompassing tests," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-94.
- Turgut Kisinbay, 2007.
"The Use of Encompassing Tests for Forecast Combinations,"
IMF Working Papers
- Turgut Kışınbay, 2010. "The use of encompassing tests for forecast combinations," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(8), pages 715-727, December.
- David Harvey & Paul Newbold, 2000. "Tests for multiple forecast encompassing," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 471-482.
- Yock Y. Chong & David F. Hendry, 1986. "Econometric Evaluation of Linear Macro-Economic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 671-690.
- Francis X. Diebold, 1989.
"Forecast combination and encompassing: reconciling two divergent literatures,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
80, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X., 1989. "Forecast combination and encompassing: Reconciling two divergent literatures," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 589-592.
- Jose, Victor Richmond R. & Winkler, Robert L., 2008. "Simple robust averages of forecasts: Some empirical results," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 163-169.
- Swanson, Norman R & Zeng, Tian, 2001. "Choosing among Competing Econometric Forecasts: Regression-Based Forecast Combination Using Model Selection," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 425-440, September.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cyb:wpaper:2012-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Nicolaidou)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.