Equity, commodity and interest rate volatility derivatives
A new methodology to construct synthetic volatility derivatives is presented. The underlying asset price process is very general, since equity, commodities and interest rates are included. The focus is on volatility swaps and volatility swap options, but much more derivatives may be considered. The proposed methods optimize the conditional value at risk of the non-hedged risk, and yields both bid and ask prices, as well as optimal hedging strategies for both purchases and sales. Upper bounds for the broker capital losses under very negative scenarios are given. Numerical experiments are presented so as to illustrate the performance in practice of this new approach.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/indem
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Balb�S & Beatriz Balb�S & Raquel Balb�S, 2013. "Good deals in markets with friction," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 827-836, May.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Raquel & Garrido, José, 2010. "Extending pricing rules with general risk functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(1), pages 23-33, February.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Peter Carr & Roger Lee, 2009. "Volatility Derivatives," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 319-339, November.
- Sara Biagini & Marco Frittelli, 2005. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets for unbounded processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 493-517, October.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Peter Carr & Katrina Ellis & Vishal Gupta, 1998. "Static Hedging of Exotic Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1165-1190, 06.
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Fernando Zapatero, 2004. "Introduction to the Economics and Mathematics of Financial Markets," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262532654, June.
- Windcliff, H. & Forsyth, P.A. & Vetzal, K.R., 2006. "Pricing methods and hedging strategies for volatility derivatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 409-431, February.
- R. Rockafellar & Stan Uryasev & Michael Zabarankin, 2006. "Generalized deviations in risk analysis," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-73, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:idrepe:id-13-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.