Ethnic Discrimination in the Greek Housing Market
The current study employs a field experiment to assess the degree of discrimination against female Albanians in Greek housing markets. We divide rental housing into three categories by rent and designate the different levels of rent as working-, middle-, and upper-class. Albanians are significantly less likely to be asked to visit advertised rental housing in all three categories, while rental penalties for Albanians are also significant. Interestingly, more discrimination was observed with higher status rental properties. The outcomes suggest that the existence of isolated and racially segregated housing may be a result of prejudice and/or negative stereotypes against Albanians.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Population Economics, Springer Publication|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. A. Riach & J. Rich, 2002.
"Field Experiments of Discrimination in the Market Place,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 480-518, November.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 2002. "Field experiments of discrimination in the market place," Natural Field Experiments 00328, The Field Experiments Website.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2006. "Discrimination in the Credit and Housing Markets: Findings and Challenges," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Discrimination, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Glen G. Cain, 1977. "Statistical Theories of Discrimination in Labor Markets," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(2), pages 175-187, January.
- John Yinger, 1998. "Evidence on Discrimination in Consumer Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 23-40, Spring.
- James J. Heckman, 1998. "Detecting Discrimination," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 101-116, Spring.
- Zhao, Bo & Ondrich, Jan & Yinger, John, 2006.
"Why do real estate brokers continue to discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 394-419, May.
- Bo Zhao & Jan Ondrich & John Yinger, 2005. "Why Do Real Estate Brokers Continue to Discriminate? Evidence from the 2000 Housing Discrimination Study," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 67, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:1001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.