Spillover Effect of the Minimum Wage in France: An Unconditional Quantile Regression Approach
This study evaluates the impact of the minimum wage on the earnings distribution in France, using an unconditional quantile regression method proposed by Firpo, Fortin, and Lemieux (2009). To address the endogeneity issue due to the specific French revaluation process of the minimum wage, we use a natural experiment. As several minimum wage levels coexisted because of different schedules in the French 35-hour week" application, they were forced to converge to one single level between 2003 and 2005. We find significant effects of the minimum wage on the earnings distribution of male and female employees up to the seventh decile.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92244 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 50 50
Web page: http://www.insee.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilbert Cette & Étienne Wasmer, 2010.
"La revalorisation automatique du SMIC,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 139-159.
- Cette, Gilbert & Etienne, Wasmer, 2009.
"La revalorisation automatique du SMIC
[Automatic indexation rules of the French minimum wage (SMIC)]," MPRA Paper 18855, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cette, Gilbert & Etienne, Wasmer, 2009. "La revalorisation automatique du SMIC
- Valérie Chouard & Grégory Verdugo & Gilbert Cette, 2011. "Les effets des hausses du Smic sur le salaire moyen," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 448(1), pages 3-28.
- Dickens, Richard & Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1998.
"Estimating the effect of minimum wages on employment from the distribution of wages: A critical view,"
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 109-134, June.
- Richard Dickens & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1994. "Estimating the effect of minimum wages on employment from the distribution of wages: a critical view," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51648, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Dickens & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1994. "Estimating the Effect of Minimum Wages on Employment from the Distribution of Wages: A Critical View," CEP Discussion Papers dp0203, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Falk, Armin & Fehr, Ernst & Zehnder, Christian, 2005.
"The Behavioural Effects of Minimum Wages,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Falk, Armin & Fehr, Ernst & Zehnder, Christian, 2005. "The Behavioral Effects of Minimum Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 1625, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Armin Falk & Ernst Fehr & Christian Zehnder, . "The Behavioral Effects of Minimum Wages," IEW - Working Papers 247, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Dickens, Richard & Alan Manning, 2003. "The Impact of the National Minimum Wage on the Wage Distribution in a Low-Wage Sector," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 60, Royal Economic Society.
- Chen, Jiawei & Shum, Matthew, 2010. "Estimating a tournament model of intra-firm wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 39-55, March.
- Sanvi Avouyi-Dovi & Denis Fougère & Erwan Gautier, 2009. "Les négociations salariales en France : une analyse à partir de données d’entreprises (1994 ‑ 2005)," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 426(1), pages 29-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpdeee:g2012-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.