Offshore Outsourcing and the size of the French Industrial Labor Force
We estimate the amount of job losses in the manufacturing sector in France due to offshore outsourcing. Our estimation is based on exhaustive, micro-level data covering all firms in the manufacturing sector in France from 1995 to 2001. We identify the groups or firms where employment decreases in French units and, at the same time, for which the imports of the good previously produced in France increases. Between 1995 and 2001, 13 500 jobs are lost each year on average in France due to offshore outsourcing in the manufacturing sector. In slightly less than half of the cases, offshore outsourcing is directed towards a low wage country : mainly China, but also North Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, Brazil. Job losses are more frequent in some sectors, such as clothing, textile, domestic equipment, manufacture of electronic equipments and components. Nonetheless, offshore outsourcing is observed in nearly all sectors.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 41 17 50 50
Web page: http://www.insee.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drumetz, F., 2004. "La délocalisation," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 132, pages 27-42.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Claude Picart, 2004. "Le tissu productif : renouvellement à la base et stabilité au sommet," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 371(1), pages 89-108.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Yvan Decreux & Jean-Louis Guerin & Sebastien Jean, 2002. "MIRAGE, un modele d'equilibre general calculable pour l'evaluation des politiques commerciales," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 89-90, pages 109-153.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpdeee:g2005-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.