Offshore Outsourcing and the size of the French Industrial Labor Force
We estimate the amount of job losses in the manufacturing sector in France due to offshore outsourcing. Our estimation is based on exhaustive, micro-level data covering all firms in the manufacturing sector in France from 1995 to 2001. We identify the groups or firms where employment decreases in French units and, at the same time, for which the imports of the good previously produced in France increases. Between 1995 and 2001, 13 500 jobs are lost each year on average in France due to offshore outsourcing in the manufacturing sector. In slightly less than half of the cases, offshore outsourcing is directed towards a low wage country : mainly China, but also North Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, Brazil. Job losses are more frequent in some sectors, such as clothing, textile, domestic equipment, manufacture of electronic equipments and components. Nonetheless, offshore outsourcing is observed in nearly all sectors.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 41 17 50 50
Web page: http://www.insee.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Claude Picart, 2004. "Le tissu productif : renouvellement à la base et stabilité au sommet," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 371(1), pages 89-108.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Yvan Decreux & Jean-Louis Guerin & Sebastien Jean, 2002. "MIRAGE, un modele d'equilibre general calculable pour l'evaluation des politiques commerciales," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 89-90, pages 109-153.
- Drumetz, F., 2004. "La délocalisation," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 132, pages 27-42.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpdeee:g2005-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.