MZE: a small macro-model for the euro area
This paper describes a small macro-model for the euro area. It has been built using Eurostat quarterly data and is aimed at improving the current tools used for forecasting and analysing the economy of the area. Some key data, such as capital stock or households disposable income, have been constructed beforehand by using partial data given by Eurostat. The model mingles short run Keynesian dynamics with a consistent neo-classical supply side. In the current version, potential output is given by a constant-returns-to-scale Cobb-Douglas production function. Labour supply is determined via a Phillips curve or within a wage-setting framework and the rate of participation to the labour force depends on the rate of unemployment. The short run dynamics is determined by an error-correction model, which implicitly assumes the presence of adjustment costs that smooth the convergence towards the long run equilibrium. The properties of the model are satisfying in many ways. The forecasts given by the model can be favourably compared to those given by a Vector-Autoregression, using a few exogenous values reflecting both the foreign and monetary environment; the model also allows understanding the evolution of a range of macroeconomic variables. Moreover, the models responses to standard shocks are in line with usual analytical exercises. In the long run, potential output is determined by the working age population, total factor productivity, the terms of trade, wage taxation and the real cost of capital. The model can also be used with rational-expectation-hypothesis dealing with the exchange rate and the long-term interest rate. This enables an illustrative study for the choice of monetary reaction functions.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92244 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 50 50
Web page: http://www.insee.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coenen, Gunter & Wieland, Volker, 2005.
"A small estimated euro area model with rational expectations and nominal rigidities,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1081-1104, July.
- Coenen, Günter & Wieland, Volker, 2000. "A small estimated euro area model with rational expectations and nominal rigidities," Working Paper Series 0030, European Central Bank.
- Gunter Coenen & Volker Wieland, 2000. "A Small Estimated Euro-Area Model with Rational Expectations and Nominal Rigidities," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1284, Econometric Society.
- Coenen, Günter & Wieland, Volker, 2002. "A Small Estimated Euro Area Model with Rational Expectations and Nominal Rigidities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coenen, Guenter & Wieland, Volker, 2003. "A Small Estimated Euro Area Model with Rational Expectations and Nominal Rigidities," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpdeee:g2003-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.