The retirement decision of couples: are the choices interdependant?
Most of the retirement decision models consider retirement as an individual trade-off between consumption and leisure and do not take the spouse situation into account. However, several elements could account for an interdependance between the spouses retirement decisions : complementarity for leisure (for each individual, the value of leisure could be enhanced if the leisure is shared with his/her spouse), similarity of the tastes of the spouses, family dimension of pension rules (in particular through the channel of survivor benefits ). Our objective is to assess the importance of the couple dimension in retirement decisions in France. We first simulate the sensitivity of retirement decisions to the complementarity for leisure. We then proceed to a descriptive and econometric analysis of joint retirement among couples. Our results support the idea of some interdependency in the retirement decisions, particularly for women. They also confirm that the strong penalties for precocious retirement for workers of the private sector limit the impact of this phenomenon.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92244 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 50 50
Web page: http://www.insee.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:restud:v:74:y:2007:i:2:p:417-445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Blundell & Pierre-André Chiappori & Thierry Magnac & Costas Meghir, 1998.
"Collective labour supply: heterogeneity and non-participation,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/20, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Chiappori, Pierre-André & Magnac, Thierry & Meghir, Costas, 2005. "Collective Labour Supply: Heterogeneity and Nonparticipation," IDEI Working Papers 373, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Blundell, Richard & Chiappori, Pierre-André & Magnac, Thierry & Meghir, Costas, 2005. "Collective Labour Supply: Heterogeneity and Nonparticipation," IZA Discussion Papers 1785, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Thierry Magnac & Costas Meghir, 2002. "Collective Labor Supply: Heterogeneity and Nonparticipation," Research Unit Working Papers 0210, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Richard Blundell & Pierre-André Chiappori & Thierry Magnac & Costas Meghir, 2001. "Collective Labor Supply : Heterogeneity and Nonparticipation," Working Papers 2001-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Blundell, Richard William & Chiappori, Pierre-André & Magnac, Thierry & Meghir, Costas, 2005. "Collective Labour Supply: Heterogeneity and Non-Participation," CEPR Discussion Papers 5287, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1999.
"Labor force transitions of older married couples in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 229-252, June.
- Blau, David & Riphahn, Regina, 1998. "Labour Force transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1998. "Labor Force Transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- An, M.Y. & Christensen, B.J. & Gupta, N.D., 1999. "A Bivariate Duration Model of the Joint Retirement Decisions of Married Couples," Papers 99-10, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992.
"Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994. "Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1994.
"How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets,"
9406005, EconWPA, revised 06 Jul 1994.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1997. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 781-832, July.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 2000. "Retirement in Dual-Career Families: A Structural Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 503-45, July.
- Blau, David M, 1998. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Married Couples," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 595-629, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpdeee:g2002-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.