Fair allocation of indivisible goods: the two-agent case
One must allocate a finite set of indivisible goods among two agents without monetary compensation. We impose Pareto-efficiency, anonymity, a weak notion of no-envy, a welfare lower bound based on each agent’s ranking of the subsets of goods, and a monotonicity property w.r.t. changes in preferences. We prove that there is a rule satisfying these axioms. If there are three goods, it is the only rule, together with one of its subcorrespondences, satisfying each fairness axiom and not discriminating between goods. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Social Choice and Welfare, 41(2), 359-380, 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/coreEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1978. "Intermediate Preferences and the Majority Rule," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 317-30, March.
- Brams, Steven J. & Kilgour, D. Marc & Klamler, Christian, 2009.
"The undercut procedure: an algorithm for the envy-free division of indivisible items,"
12774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steven Brams & D. Kilgour & Christian Klamler, 2012. "The undercut procedure: an algorithm for the envy-free division of indivisible items," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 615-631, July.
- Steven J. Brams & Paul H. Edelman & Peter C. Fishburn, 2003.
"Fair Division Of Indivisible Items,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 147-180, 09.
- Moulin, Herve, 1990.
"Uniform externalities : Two axioms for fair allocation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 305-326, December.
- Moulin, H., 1989. "Uniform Externalities: Two Axioms For Fair Allocation," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 117-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Dorothea Herreiner & Clemens Puppe, 2002. "A simple procedure for finding equitable allocations of indivisible goods," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 415-430, April.
- Moulin, H., 1988.
"Welfare Bounds In The Fair Division Problem,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
106-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Steven J. Brams & Peter C. Fishburn, 2000.
"Fair division of indivisible items between two people with identical preferences: Envy-freeness, Pareto-optimality, and equity,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 247-267.
- Brams, S.J. & Fishburn, P.C., 1998. "Fair Division of Indivisible Items between Two People with Identical Preferences: Envy-Freeness, Pareto-Optimality, and Equity," Working Papers 98-20, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lars Ehlers & Bettina Klaus, 2003. "Coalitional strategy-proof and resource-monotonic solutions for multiple assignment problems," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 265-280, October.
- Hanna Halaburda & Guillaume Haeringer, 2013. "Monotone Strategyproofness," Working Papers 712, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve, 1992. "An Application of the Shapley Value to Fair Division with Money," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1331-49, November.
- Edelman, Paul & Fishburn, Peter, 2001. "Fair division of indivisible items among people with similar preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 327-347, May.
- RAMAEKERS, Eve, 2010. "Fair allocation of indivisible goods among two agents," CORE Discussion Papers 2010087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Demko, Stephen & Hill, Theodore P., 1988. "Equitable distribution of indivisible objects," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 145-158, October.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Gevers, Louis, 1977.
"Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209, June.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, . "Equity and the informational basis of collective choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP -350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:-2483. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.