Volatility regimes and order book liquidity: Evidence from the Belgian segment of Euronext
We analyze whether the liquidity provision in a pure order book market undergoes regime changes when volatility switches from a low state to a high state. In a five-month case study centered on the second Gulf war, we show that the contemporaneous relationship between liquidity and volatility is resilient to regime changes in volatility. Nevertheless, we do find that it is more costly to trade when volatility is large. A VAR analysis also shows that the liquidity dynamics is similar in the low and high volatility regimes, although the drop in liquidity subsequent to volatility shocks is larger in the high volatility regime.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Global Finance Journal, 20, 80-97, 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauwens, Luc & Ben Omrane, Walid & Giot, Pierre, 2005.
"News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1108-1125, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, . "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1787, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, 2003. "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the Euro/Dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers 2003029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Handa, Puneet & Schwartz, Robert A, 1996. " Limit Order Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1835-61, December.
- Degryse, Hans, 1999.
"The total cost of trading Belgian shares: Brussels versus London,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1331-1355, September.
- Degryse, Hans, 1997. "The Total Cost of Trading Belgian Shares: Brussels versus London," CEPR Discussion Papers 1581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Degryse, H.A., 1996. "The total cost of trading Belgian shares : Brussels versus London," Discussion Paper 1996-105, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Joel Hasbrouck, 1999. "The Dynamics of Discrete Bid and Ask Quotes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2109-2142, December.
- Bruno Biais & Pierre Hillion & Chester Spatt, 1999. "Price Discovery and Learning during the Preopening Period in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1218-1248, December.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2004. "Order aggressiveness in limit order book markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-74, January.
- Goldstein, Michael A. & Kavajecz, Kenneth A., 2004. "Trading strategies during circuit breakers and extreme market movements," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 301-333, June.
- Frino, Alex & McInish, Thomas H. & Toner, Martin, 1998. "The liquidity of automated exchanges: new evidence from German Bund futures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 225-241, December.
- Hee-Joon Ahn, 2001. "Limit Orders, Depth, and Volatility: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 767-788, 04.
- Sofianos, George & Werner, Ingrid M., 2000. "The trades of NYSE floor brokers," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 139-176, May.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:-2132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.