Competitive bargaining equilibrium
We propose a simple bargaining procedure, the equilibrium of which converges to the Walrasian allocation as the agents become increasingly patient. We thus establish that the competitive outcome obtains even if agents have market power and are not price-takers. Moreover, where in other bargaining protocols the final outcome depends on bargaining power or relative impatience, the outcome here is determinate and depends only on preferences and endowments. This procedure has therefore important implications for policy applications compared to standard bargaining rules.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Journal of Economic Theory, 139, 269-294, 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takashi Kunimoto & Roberto Serrano, 2002.
"Bargaining and Competition Revisited,"
2002-14, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Cramton & Robert Gibbons & Paul Klemperer, 1985.
"Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently,"
406, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999.
"New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999. "New developments in models of search in the labor market," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627 Elsevier.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "On the Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 279-98, April.
- Acemoglu, D. & Shimer, R., 1997.
"Efficient Unemployment Insurance,"
97-9, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 2003.
"Partnerships, lemons, and efficient trade,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 223-234, December.
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 99-71, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-18, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Shimer, Robert, 1999.
"Holdups and Efficiency with Search Frictions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 827-49, November.
- Julio Dvila & Jan Eeckhout, 2002. "Is Bargaining over Prices Efficient?," Penn CARESS Working Papers 0915aad416461c93559b9430d, Penn Economics Department.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part II: Existence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 807-18, July.
- Sutton, John, 1986. "Non-cooperative Bargaining Theory: An Introduction," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 709-24, October.
- Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "How to Dissolve a Partnership," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(1), pages 66-, March.
- Serrano, Roberto & Volij, Oscar, 2000.
"Walrasian Allocations without Price-Taking Behavior,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 79-106, November.
- Volij, Oscar & Serrano, Roberto, 2000. "Walrasian Allocations Without Price-Taking Behavior," Staff General Research Papers 5168, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Muhamet Yildiz, 2002.
Theory workshop papers
505798000000000003, UCLA Department of Economics.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2005. "Bargaining and Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000515, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Merlo, Antonio & Wilson, Charles A, 1995. "A Stochastic Model of Sequential Bargaining with Complete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 371-99, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:-2069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.