Why is there Cross-Country Variation in Female Labor Force Participation Rates? The Role of Male Attitudes Toward Family and Sex Roles
Antecol (2000) finds that culture plays a role in explaining inter-ethnic variation in the gender gap in labor force participation rates (LFPR). However, Antecol (2000) was unable to determine what the components of culture, such as differences in preferences regarding family structure and women's role in market versus home work, actually are and how to quantify these components in an empirically meaningful manner. Using data from the 1994 International Social Survey Programme (ISSP), this paper proxies culture using a set of questions on male attitudes toward family and sex roles. I find that women are more likely to work if men in their country view female LFP in a favorable light.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (909) 607-3041
Fax: (909) 621-8249
Web page: http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/rdschool/papers/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James W. Albrecht & Per-Anders Edin & Susan B. Vroman, 2000.
"A Cross-country Comparison of Attitudes Towards Mothers Working and their Actual Labor Market Experience,"
CEIS, vol. 14(4), pages 591-607, December.
- Albrecht, J.W. & Edin, P.A. & Vroman, S.B., 1995. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Attitudes Towards Mothers Working and their Actual Labor Market Experience," Papers 1995-28, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Antecol, Heather, 2000. "An examination of cross-country differences in the gender gap in labor force participation rates," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 409-426, July.
- Danièle Meulders & Robert Plasman & Valérie Vander Stricht, 1993. "Position of women on the labour market in the European Community," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13466, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, .
"Inter-Industry and Inter-Region Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation,"
9504, SELAPO Center for Human Resources.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2000. "Interindustry and Interregion Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(3), pages 516-521, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clm:clmeco:2003-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.