Exporting Hyperinflation: The Long Arm of Chiang Kai-shek
As mainland China's inflationary spiral accelerated in 1947-1949 there was a massive outflow of funds to the island of Taiwan. The exporting of China's hyperinflation was facilitated by the fixed, overvalued, exchange rate between the mainland Chinese currency and the Taiwanese currency that was adopted in August 1948. Empirical tests offer support for the importance of the 1948 monetary policy reform and suggest a substantial impact of capital inflows and excess money growth in mainland China on inflationary pressures in Taiwan. We find no independent role for Taiwanese money growth in the inflation process.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 500 E. 9th Street, Claremont, CA 91711|
Phone: (909) 607-3041
Fax: (909) 621-8249
Web page: http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/rdschool/papers/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellis W. Tallman & De-piao Tang & Ping Wang, 2002.
"Nominal and real disturbances and money demand in the Chinese hyperinflation,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2002-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ellis W. Tallman & De-Piao Tang & Ping Wang, 2003. "Nominal and Real Disturbances and Money Demand in Chinese Hyperinflation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(2), pages 234-249, April.
- Anna J. Schwartz, 1983.
"The Postwar Institutional Evolution of the International Monetary System,"
in: The International Transmission of Inflation, pages 14-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anna J. Schwartz, 1987. "The Postwar Institutional Evolution of the International Monetary System," NBER Chapters, in: Money in Historical Perspective, pages 333-363 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-548, September.
- Laney, Leroy O. & Willett, Thomas D., 1982. "The international liquidity explosion and worldwide inflation: The evidence from sterilization coefficient estimates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 141-152, January.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "Rational Expectations and the Dynamics of Hyperinflation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 328-350, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clm:clmeco:2001-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.