Does Copyright Enforcement Encourage Piracy?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bakos, Yannis & Brynjolfsson, Erik & Lichtman, Douglas, 1999. "Shared Information Goods," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 117-155, April.
- Joshua Slive & Dan Bernhardt, 1998. "Pirated for Profit," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 886-899, November.
- Jean Lanjouw & Josh Lerner, 1998.
"The Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights: A Survey of the Empirical Literature,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 49-50, pages 223-246.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Josh Lerner, 1997. "The Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights: A Survey of the Empirical Literature," NBER Working Papers 6296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Varian, Hal R, 2000. "Buying, Sharing and Renting Information Goods," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 473-488, December.
- Oz Shy & Jacques-Françlois Thisse, 1999. "A Strategic Approach to Software Protection," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 163-190, June.
- Takeyama, Lisa N, 1994. "The Welfare Implications of Unauthorized Reproduction of Intellectual Property in the Presence of Demand Network Externalities," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 155-166, June.
- Liebowitz, S J, 1985. "Copying and Indirect Appropriability: Photocopying of Journals," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 945-957, October.
- Johnson, William R, 1985. "The Economics of Copying," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 158-174, February.
- Dam, Kenneth W, 1999. "Self-Help in the Digital Jungle," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 393-412, June.
- Landes, William M & Posner, Richard A, 1989. "An Economic Analysis of Copyright Law," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 325-363, June.
- Stanley M. Besen & Leo J. Raskind, 1991. "An Introduction to the Law and Economics of Intellectual Property," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 3-27, Winter.
- Esteban, Lola & Gil, Agustin & Hernandez, Jose M, 2001. "Informative Advertising and Optimal Targeting in a Monopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 161-180, June.
- Besen, Stanley M & Kirby, Sheila Nataraj, 1989. "Private Copying, Appropriability, and Optimal Copying Royalties," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 255-280, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco Vázquez & Richard Watt, 2011. "Copyright piracy as prey–predator behavior," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 31-43, April.
- Takeyama, Lisa N., 2009. "Copyright enforcement and product quality signaling in markets for computer software," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 291-296, November.
- Baker, Matthew J & Cunningham, Brendan M, 2006.
"Court Decisions and Equity Markets: Estimating the Value of Copyright Protection,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(2), pages 567-596, October.
- Matthew J. Baker & Brendan M. Cunningham, 2004. "Court Decisions and Equity Markets: Estimating the Value of Copyright Protection," Departmental Working Papers 4, United States Naval Academy Department of Economics.
- Dyuti S. Banerjee & Teyu Chou, 2007. "Copyright Protection And Innovation In The Presence Of Commercial Piracy," Monash Economics Working Papers 05-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Bae, Sang Hoo & Choi, Jay Pil, 2006. "A model of piracy," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 303-320, September.
- Tsai, Ming-Fang & Chiou, Jiunn-Rong & Lin, Chun-Hung A., 2012. "A model of counterfeiting: A duopoly approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 283-291.
- Kristina M. Lybecker, 2008. "Keeping it real: anticounterfeiting strategies in the pharmaceutical industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(5), pages 389-405.
- D Banerjee, 2004. "Sensitivity To Tax Revenues and Optimal Anti-piracy Policy Instruments," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 330, Econometric Society.
- Shariffah Zamoon & Shawn Curley, 2008. "Ripped from the Headlines: What can the Popular Press Teach us about Software Piracy?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 515-533, December.
- Dyuti Banerjee & Ahmed Khalid & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2005. "Socio-economic development and software piracy. An empirical assessment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2091-2097.
- Banerjee, Dyuti S., 2006. "Lobbying and commercial software piracy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 139-155, March.
- Peitz, Martin & Waelbroeck, Patrick, 2006. "Piracy of digital products: A critical review of the theoretical literature," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 449-476, November.
- Francesco BALDUCCI, 2010. "The Web's Promotional Effect and Artists' Strategies," Working Papers 345, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Martin Peitz & Patrick Waelbroeck, 2003. "Piracy of Digital Products: A Critical Review of the Economics Literature," CESifo Working Paper Series 1071, CESifo Group Munich.
More about this item
Keywordspiracy; internet; intellectual property; copyright protection; super-monopoly pricing;
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Monopoly
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2001-07-13 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-TID-2001-07-13 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clm:clmeco:2000-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/edmckus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.