Internal Trade, Productivity, and Interconnected Industries: A Quantitative Analysis
Does trade within a country affect welfare and productivity? What are the magnitude and consequences of costs to such trade? To answer these questions, we exploit unique Canadian data to measure internal trade costs in a variety of ways -- they are large, and vary across sectors and provinces. To quantify their consequences for welfare and productivity, we use a recent multi-sector trade model featuring rich input-output relationships. We find inter-provincial trade is an important contributor to Canada's GDP and welfare, though there are significant costs to such trade. Reducing inter-provincial trade costs by 10% yields aggregate gains of 0.9%; eliminating our preferred estimates of costs, gains average between 3-7% -- equivalent to real GDP gains between $50-$130 billion. Finally, as policy reforms are often sector-specific, we liberalize sectors one at a time and find gains are largest in highly interconnected industries.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:||04 Feb 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2500 University Drive N.W., Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4|
Phone: (403) 220-5857
Fax: (403) 282-5262
Web page: http://econ.ucalgary.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Hillberry & David Hummels, 2003.
"Intranational Home Bias: Some Explanations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1089-1092, November.
- Sandra Poncet, 2005.
"A Fragmented China: Measure and Determinants of Chinese Domestic Market Disintegration,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 409-430, 08.
- Sandra PONCET, 2002. "A Fragmented China. Measure and Determinants of Chinese Domestic Market Disintegration," Working Papers 200221, CERDI.
- Vasco M. Carvalho & Xavier Gabaix, 2010.
"The Great Diversification and its Undoing,"
NBER Working Papers
16424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & Vasco M. Carvalho, 2010. "The Great Diversification and its Undoing," 2010 Meeting Papers 880, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carvalho, Vasco M & Gabaix, Xavier, 2010. "The Great Diversification and its Undoing," CEPR Discussion Papers 8044, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vasco Carvalho & Xavier Gabaix, 2010. "The great diversification and its undoing," Economics Working Papers 1208, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2010.
- Vasco Carvalho & Xavier Gabaix, 2010. "The Great Diversification and its Undoing," Working Papers 422, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lorenzo Caliendo & Fernando Parro, 2015.
"Estimates of the Trade and Welfare Effects of NAFTA,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 82(1), pages 1-44.
- Lorenzo Caliendo & Fernando Parro, 2012. "Estimates of the Trade and Welfare Effects of NAFTA," NBER Working Papers 18508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles R. Hulten, 1978. "Growth Accounting with Intermediate Inputs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 511-518.
- Trevor Tombe & Jennifer Winter, "undated".
"Fiscal Integration with Internal Trade: Quantifying the Effects of Equalizing Transfers,"
2013-28, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 04 Feb 2017.
- Trevor Tombe & Jennifer Winter, "undated". "Fiscal Integration with Internal Trade: Quantifying the Effects of Equalizing Transfers," Working Papers 2017-03, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 01 Sep 2016.
- Chen, Natalie, 2002.
"Intra-national versus International Trade in the European Union: Why do National Borders Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3407, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Natalie, 2004. "Intra-national versus international trade in the European Union: why do national borders matter?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 93-118, May.
- Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2009.
"Understanding Interstate Trade Patterns,"
15952, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Han QI & Haichao Fan & Edwin Lai, 2013. "Global Gains from Reduction of Trade Costs," 2013 Meeting Papers 1283, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clg:wpaper:2015-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (May Ives)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.