Environmental Policy and Misallocation: The Productivity Effect of Intensity Standards
Firm-level idiosyncratic policy distortions misallocate resources between firms, lowering aggregate productivity. Many environmental policies create such distortions; in particular, output-based intensity standards (which limit firms' energy use or emissions per unit of output) are easier for high-productivity firms to achieve. We investigate the productivity effect of intensity standards using a tractable general-equilibrium model featuring multiple sectors and firm-level heterogeneity. Qualitatively, we demonstrate standards are always inferior to uniform taxes, as they misallocate both dirty and clean inputs across firms and sectors, which lowers productivity. Quantitatively, we calibrate the model to US data and show these productivity losses can be large.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2015|
|Date of revision:||23 Apr 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (403) 220-5857
Fax: (403) 282-5262
Web page: http://econ.ucalgary.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Restuccia, Diego & Yang, Dennis Tao & Zhu, Xiaodong, 2008.
"Agriculture and aggregate productivity: A quantitative cross-country analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 234-250, March.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2003. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers diegor-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2007. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers e07-3, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Ina Simonovska & Michael E. Waugh, 2011.
"The Elasticity of Trade: Estimates and Evidence,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3356, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Waugh & Ina Simonovska, 2010. "The Elasticity of Trade: Estimates and Evidence," 2010 Meeting Papers 637, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ina Simonovska & Michael E. Waugh, 2011. "The Elasticity of Trade: Estimates and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 16796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ina Simonovska & Michael Waugh, 2011. "The Elasticity of Trade: Estimates and Evidence," Working Papers 112, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bohringer, Christoph & Rutherford, Thomas F., 1997. "Carbon Taxes with Exemptions in an Open Economy: A General Equilibrium Analysis of the German Tax Initiative," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-203, February.
- R. Simpson, 1995. "Optimal pollution taxation in a Cournot duopoly," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(4), pages 359-369, December.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1995. "Optimal Linear Taxation of Polluting Oligopolists," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 85-100, January.
- Newell, Richard G & Stavins, Robert N, 2003.
"Cost Heterogeneity and the Potential Savings from Market-Based Policies,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 43-59, January.
- Stavins, Robert & Newell, Richard, 2000. "Cost Heterogeneity and the Potential Savings from Market-Based Policies," Discussion Papers dp-00-10-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Dissou, Yazid & Mac Leod, Carolyn & Souissi, Mokhtar, 2002. "Compliance costs to the Kyoto Protocol and market structure in Canada: a dynamic general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(7-8), pages 751-779, November.
- Xiaodong Zhu & Trevor Tombe & Loren Brandt, 2011.
"Factor Market Distortions Across Time, Space and Sectors in China,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1301, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Loren Brandt & Trevor Tombe & Xiadong Zhu, 2013. "Factor Market Distortions Across Time, Space, and Sectors in China," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(1), pages 39-58, January.
- Loren Brandt & Trevor Tombe & Xiaodong Zhu, 2012. "Factor Market Distortions across Time, Space and Sectors in China," Working Papers 262012, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Simonovska, Ina; Waugh, Michael E., 2010.
"The Elasticity of Trade: Estimates & Evidence,"
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
13, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Santosh Kumar Sahu & Krishnan Narayanan, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity and Energy Intensity in Indian Manufacturing: A Cross-Sectional Study," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 1(2), pages 47-58, September.
- Buchanan, James M, 1969. "External Diseconomies, Corrective Taxes, and Market Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 174-77, March.
- Don Fullerton & Andrew Leicester & Stephen Smith, 2008. "Environmental Taxes," NBER Working Papers 14197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clg:wpaper:2013-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (May Ives)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.