Multiple Local Whittle Estimation in StationarySystems
Moving from univariate to bivariate jointly dependent long memory time series introduces a phase parameter (?), at the frequency of principal interest, zero; for shortmemory series ? = 0 automatically. The latter case has also been stressed under longmemory, along with the 'fractional differencing' case ( ) / 2; 2 1 ? = d - d p where 1 2 d , dare the memory parameters of the two series. We develop time domain conditionsunder which these are and are not relevant, and relate the consequent properties ofcross-autocovariances to ones of the (possibly bilateral) moving averagerepresentation which, with martingale difference innovations of arbitrary dimension,is used in asymptotic theory for local Whittle parameter estimates depending on asingle smoothing number. Incorporating also a regression parameter (ß) which, whennon-zero, indicates cointegration, the consistency proof of these implicitly-definedestimates is nonstandard due to the ß estimate converging faster than the others. Wealso establish joint asymptotic normality of the estimates, and indicate how thisoutcome can apply in statistical inference on several questions of interest. Issues ofimplementation are discussed, along with implications of knowing ß and of correct orincorrect specification of ? , and possible extensions to higher-dimensional systemsand nonstationary series.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000. "Local Whittle Estimation in Nonstationary and Unit Root Cases," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1266, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 2003.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006.
"Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation of Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Processes,"
1062, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 277-310, April.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2003. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," Economics Discussion Papers 571, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Willa Chen & Clifford Hurvich, 2004. "Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegrating Subspaces," Econometrics 0412007, EconWPA.
- Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, . "Local Whittle Analysis of Stationary Fractional Cointegration," Economics Working Papers 2002-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:24:y:2007:i:01:p:256-293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nielsen, Morten Oe., .
"Semiparametric Estimation in Time Series Regression with Long Range Dependence,"
Economics Working Papers
2002-17, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Morten Orregaard Nielsen, 2005. "Semiparametric Estimation in Time-Series Regression with Long-Range Dependence," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 279-304, 03.
- Davidson, James & Hashimzade, Nigar, 2008. "Alternative Frequency And Time Domain Versions Of Fractional Brownian Motion," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 256-293, February.
- D Marinucci & Peter M Robinson, 2001. "Narrow-Band Analysis of Nonstationary Processes," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/421, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Javier Hualde & Peter Robinson, .
"Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration,"
Faculty Working Papers
07/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Javier Hualde & Peter M Robinson, 2006. "Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2006/502, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Christensen, Bent Jesper & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006.
"Asymptotic normality of narrow-band least squares in the stationary fractional cointegration model and volatility forecasting,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 343-371, July.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Morten Ø. Nielsen, . "Semiparametric Analysis of Stationary Fractional Cointegration and the Implied-Realized Volatility Relation in High-Frequency Options Data," Economics Working Papers 2001-4, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lobato, Ignacio N., 1999. "A semiparametric two-step estimator in a multivariate long memory model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Peter M Robinson, 2004. "ROBUST COVARIANCE MATRIX ESTIMATION: "HAC" Estimates with Long Memory/Antipersistence Correction," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2004/471, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- D Marinucci & Peter Robinson, 2001. "Narrow-band analysis of nonstationary processes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2015, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Giraitis & P.M. Robinson, 2003. "Edgeworth expansions for semiparametric Whittle estimation of long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 291, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Clifford Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2004.
"Estimating Long Memory in Volatility,"
- Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Gaussian Semi-parametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 345-378, 05.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/438, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- D. Marinucci & Peter M. Robinson, 2001. "Narrow-band analysis of nonstationary processes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 303, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2007/525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.