Diagnostic Testing For Cointegration
We develop a sequence of tests for specifying the cointegrating rank of, possiblyfractional, multiple time series. Memory parameters of observables are treated asunknown, as are those of possible cointegrating errors. The individual test statisticshave standard null asymptotics, and are related to Hausman specification teststatistics: when the memory parameter is common to several series, an estimate ofthis parameter based on the assumption of no cointegration achieves an efficiencyimprovement over estimates based on individual series, whereas if the series arecointegrated the former estimate is generally inconsistent. However, acomputationally simpler but asymptotically equivalent approach, which avoidsexplicit computation of the "efficient" estimate, is instead pursued here. Twoversions of it are initially proposed, followed by one that robustifies to possibleinequality between memory parameters of observables. Throughout, asemiparametric approach is pursued, modelling serial dependence only atfrequencies near the origin, with the goal of validity under broad circumstances andcomputational convenience. The main development is in terms of stationary series,but an extension to nonstationary ones is also described. The algorithm forestimating cointegrating rank entails carrying out such tests based on potentially allsubsets of two or more of the series, though outcomes of previous tests mayrender some or all subsequent ones unnecessary. A Monte Carlo study of finitesample performance is included.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, Peter M. & Yajima, Yoshihiro, 2002.
"Determination of cointegrating rank in fractional systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 217-241, February.
- Peter M Robinson & Yoshihiro Yajima, 2001. "Determination of Cointegrating Rank in Fractional Systems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/423, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2003.
"Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes,"
Economics Discussion Papers
571, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 277-310, April.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006. "Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation of Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Processes," Working Papers 1062, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- D Marinucci & Peter M Robinson, 2001.
"Semiparametric Fractional Cointegration Analysis,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2001/420, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lobato, Ignacio N., 1999. "A semiparametric two-step estimator in a multivariate long memory model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/438, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- L. Giraitis & P.M. Robinson, 2003. "Edgeworth expansions for semiparametric Whittle estimation of long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 291, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2007/522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.