Semiparametric Estimation for Stationary Processes whose Spectra have an Unknown Pole
We consider the estimation of the location of the pole and memory parameter, ?0 and a respectively, of covariance stationary linear processes whose spectral density function f(?) satisfies f(?) ~ C|? - ?0|-a in a neighbourhood of ?0. We define a consistent estimator of ?0 and derive its limit distribution Z?0 . As in related optimization problems, when the true parameter value can lie on the boundary of the parameter space, we show that Z?0 is distributed as a normal random variable when ?0 ? (0, p), whereas for ?0 = 0 or p, Z?0 is a mixture of discrete and continuous random variables with weights equal to 1/2. More specifically, when ?0 = 0, Z?0 is distributed as a normal random variable truncated at zero. Moreover, we describe and examine a two-step estimator of the memory parameter a, showing that neither its limit distribution nor its rate of convergence is affected by the estimation of ?0. Thus, we reinforce and extend previous results with respect to the estimation of a when ?0 is assumed to be known a priori. A small Monte Carlo study is included to illustrate the finite sample performance of our estimators.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L Giraitis & J Hidalgo & Peter M. Robinson, 2001. "Gaussian estimation of parametric spectral density with unknown pole," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 297, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo & Peter M Robinson, 2001. "Gaussian Estimation of Parametric Spectral Density with Unknown Pole," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/424, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Josu Artech & Peter M Robinson, 1998. "Semiparametric Inference in Seasonal and Cyclical Long Memory Processes - (Now published in Journal of Time Series Analysis, 21 (2000), pp.1-25.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/359, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Javier Hidalgo & Carlos Velasco, 2005.
"Distribution free goodness-of-fit tests for linear processes,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
6840, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Javier Hidalgo & Carlos Velasco, 2005. "Distribution Free Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Linear Processes," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2005/482, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson & Alexander Samarov, 1997. "Rate Optimal Semiparametric Estimation of the Memory Parameter of the Gaussian Time Serieswith Long-Range Dependence - (Now published in 'Journal of Time Series Analysis', 18 (1997), pp.49-60.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1997/323, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2005/481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.