Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory
The semiparametric local Whittle or Gaussian estimate of the long memory parameter is known to have especially nice limiting distributional properties, being asymptotically normal with a limiting variance that is completely known. However in moderate samples the normal approximation may not be very good, so we consider a refined, Edgeworth, approximation, for both a tapered estimate, and the original untapered one. For the tapered estimate, our higher-order correction involves two terms, one of order 1/vm (where m is the bandwidth number in the estimation), the other a bias term, which increases in m; depending on the relative magnitude of the terms, one or the other may dominate, or they may balance. For the untapered estimate we obtain an expansion in which, for m increasing fast enough, the correction consists only of a bias term. We discuss applications of our expansions to improved statistical inference and bandwidth choice. We assume Gaussianity, but in other respects our assumptions seem mild.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter M. Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000.
"Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2148, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Velasco, Carlos & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 497-539, June.
- Carlos Velasco & Peter M. Robinson, 2001. "Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2001. "Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1293, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Y. Nishiyama & P. M. Robinson, 2000. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 931-980, July.
- Robinson, P. M., 1995. "The approximate distribution of nonparametric regression estimates," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 193-201, May.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999. "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- Peter Robinson & Marc Henry, 2002.
"Higher-order kernel semiparametric M-estimation of long memory,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2147, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Henry, Marc, 2003. "Higher-order kernel semiparametric M-estimation of long memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Marc Henry & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Higher-Order Kernel Semiparametric M-Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/436, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Marc Henry & Peter M Robinson, 1998. "Long and Short Memory Conditional Heteroscedasticity in Estimating the Memory Parameter of Levels - (Now published in Econometric Theory, 15 (1999), pp.299-336.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/357, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Robinson, Peter M. & Samarov, Alexander, 2000. "Adaptive Semiparametric Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 183-207, February.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2003.
"A Bias--Reduced Log--Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long--Memory Parameter,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 675-712, March.
- Tom Doan, . "AGFRACTD: RATS procedure to compute Andrews-Guggenberger estimate of fractional difference," Statistical Software Components RTS00005, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2000. "A Bias-Reduced Log-Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long-Memory Parameter," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1263, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2002/438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.