The Memory of Stochastic Volatility Models
A valid asymptotic expansion for the covariance of functions of multivariate normal vectors is applied to approximate autovariances of time series generated by nonlinear transformation of Gaussian latent variates, and nonlinear functions of these, with special reference to long memory stochastic volatility models, serving to identify the roles played by the underlying Gaussian processes and the nonlinear transformation. Implications for simple stochastic volatility models are examined in detail, with numerical and Monte Carlo calculations, and applications to cyclic behaviour, cross-sectional and temporal aggregation, and multivariate models are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Paolo Zaffaroni & Peter M. Robinson, 1997. "Nonlinear Time Series With Long Memory: A Model for Stochastic Volatility," FMG Discussion Papers dp253, Financial Markets Group.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Wright, Jonathan H., 2000. "Semiparametric estimation of long-memory volatility dependencies: The role of high-frequency data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 81-106, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Peter M Robinson & Paolo Zaffaroni, 1997. "Modelling Nonlinearity and Long Memory in Time Series - (Now published in 'Nonlinear Dynamics and Time Series', C D Cutler and D T Kaplan (eds), Fields Institute Communications, 11 (1997), pp.61-170.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1997/319, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- Denaranjo, M. V. S., 1993. "Non-central Limit Theorems for Non-linear Functionals of k Gaussian Fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 227-255, February.
- Ho, Hwai-Chung & Sun, Tze-Chien, 1987. "A central limit theorem for non-instantaneous filters of a stationary Gaussian process," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 144-155, June.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- C. W. J. GRANGER & Zhuanxin DING, 1995. "Some Properties of Absolute Return: An Alternative Measure of Risk," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 40, pages 67-91.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2001/410. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.