Edgeworth Expansions for Spectral Density Estimates and Studentized Sample Mean - (Now published in Economic Theory, 17 (2001), pp.497-539
We establish valid Edgeworth expansions for the distribution of smoothed nonparametric spectral estimates, and of studentized versions of linear statistics such as the same mean, where the studentization employs such a nonparametric spectral estimate. Particular attention is paid to the spectral estimate at zero frequency and, correspondingly, the studentized sample mean, to reflect econometric interest in autocorrelation-consistent or long-run variance estimation. Our main focus is on stationary Gaussian series, though we discuss relaxation of the Gaussianity assumption. Only smoothness conditions on the spectral density that are local to the frequency of interest are imposed. We deduce empirical expansions from our Edgeworth expansions designed to improve on the normal approximation in practice, and also a feasible rule of bandwidth choice.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:2:p:331-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Phillips, P C B, 1980. "Finite Sample Theory and the Distributions of Alternative Estimators of the Marginal Propensity to Consume," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 183-224, January.
- Robinson, P. M., 1995. "The approximate distribution of nonparametric regression estimates," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 193-201, May.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu, 1987. "Validity of Edgeworth expansions of minimum contrast estimators for Gaussian ARMA processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-28, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:/2000/390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.