Supersize It: The Growth of Retail Chains and the Rise of the "Big Box" Retail Format
This paper documents and explains the recent rise of "big-box" general merchandisers. Data from the Census of Retail Trade for 1977-2007 show that general-merchandise chains grew much faster than specialist retail chains, and that general merchandisers that added the most stores also made the biggest increases to their product offerings. We explain these facts with a stylized model in which a retailer’s scale economies interact with consumer gains from one-stop shopping to generate a complementarity between a retailer’s scale and scope.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Betancourt & David Gautschi, 1990. "Demand Complementarities, Household Production, and Retail Assortments," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 146-161.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2006. "Market Selection, Reallocation, and Restructuring in the U.S. Retail Trade Sector in the 1990s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 748-758, November.
- Bliss, Christopher, 1988. "A Theory of Retail Pricing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 375-91, June.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2009.
"The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 977-1009, December.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2007. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry," Working Papers 0712, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Noel, Michael & Basker, Emek, 2007. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry Into The Supermarket Industry," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4nq8d4sm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Emek Basker & Pham Hoang Van, 2007.
"Wal-Mart as Catalyst to U.S.-China Trade,"
0710, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Ross, Thomas W, 1984.
"Winners and Losers under the Robinson-Patman Act,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 243-71, October.
- Thomas W. Ross, 1983. "Winners and Losers under the Robinson-Patman Act," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 30, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Kyle Bagwell, 1993.
"Dynamic Retail Price and Investment Competition,"
1115, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmes, Thomas J, 2001.
"Bar Codes Lead to Frequent Deliveries and Superstores,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 708-25, Winter.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1999. "Bar codes lead to frequent deliveries and superstores," Staff Report 261, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mark Doms & Ron Jarmin & Shawn Klimek, 2004. "Information technology investment and firm performance in US retail trade," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 595-613.
- Jonathan Beck & Michal Grajek & Christian Wey, 2007.
"Estimating level effects in diffusion of a new technology: Barcode scanning at the checkout counter,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-07-002, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Jonathan Beck & Michal Grajek & Christian Wey, 2011. "Estimating level effects in diffusion of a new technology: barcode scanning at the checkout counter," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(14), pages 1737-1748.
- Emek Basker, 2003.
"Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion,"
Labor and Demography
0303002, EconWPA, revised 11 Mar 2005.
- Emek Basker, 2005. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 174-183, February.
- Emek Basker, 2002. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Working Papers 0215, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised Jan 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:08-23r. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.