Joint Inference and Counterfactual experimentation for Impulse Response Functions by Local Projections
This paper provides three measures of the uncertainty associated to an impulse response path: (1) conditional confidence bands which isolate the uncertainty of individual response coefficients given the temporal path experienced up to that point; (2) response percentile bounds} which provide bounds on the universe of permissible paths at a given probability level; and (3) Wald tests of joint significance and joint cumulative significance. These results rely on general assumptions for the joint distribution of the system's impulse responses. Given this distribution, the paper then shows how to construct counterfactual experiments formally; provides a test on the likelihood of observing the counterfactual; and derives the distribution of the system's responses conditional on the counterfactual. The paper then derives the asymptotic joint distribution of structural impulse responses identified by either short- or long-run recursive assumptions and estimated by local projections (Jorda, 2005). An application to a two country system implements all of these new methods.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616-8578|
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuersteiner, Guido M., 2002. "Efficient Iv Estimation For Autoregressive Models With Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 547-583, June.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Leeper, Eric M. & Zha, Tao, 2003.
"Modest policy interventions,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1673-1700, November.
- Eric M. Leeper & Tao Zha, 1999. "Modest policy interventions," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 99-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Eric M. Leeper & Tao Zha, 2002. "Modest Policy Interventions," NBER Working Papers 9192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Leeper & Tao Zha, 2003. "Modest policy interventions," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2003-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Eric M. Leeper & Tao Zha, 2002. "Modest policy interventions," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cochrane, John H., 1998. "What do the VARs mean? Measuring the output effects of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 277-300, April.
- John H. Cochrane, 1995. "What do the VARs Mean?: Measuring the Output Effects of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 5154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992. "Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Silvia Goncalves & Lutz Kilian, 2007. "Asymptotic and Bootstrap Inference for AR(∞) Processes with Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(6), pages 609-641.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1999. "Error Bands for Impulse Responses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1113-1156, September.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1994. "Error Bands for Impulse Responses," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1085, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1995. "Error bands for impulse responses," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Sims and Zha(1999) "Error Bands for Impulse Responses"," Statistical Software Components RTZ00145, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kuersteiner, Guido M., 2001. "Optimal instrumental variables estimation for ARMA models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 359-405, September.
- Guido M. Kuersteiner, 1999. "Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation for ARMA Models," Working papers 99-07, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cda:wpaper:06-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Scott Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.