Non-Institutional Market Making Behavior: The Dalian Futures Exchange
This paper contains three useful contributions: (1) it collects a new data-set of electronic transaction data on soybean futures from the Dalian Futures Exchange in China that records, not only the usual elements of each transaction (such as price and size) but also identifies broker and customer identities, variables not usually obtainable; (2) it presents new econometric methods for the analysis of dynamic multivariate count data based on the autoregressive conditional intensity model of JordÃ and Marcellino (2000); and (3) together, the new data and econometric methods allow us to investigate, in a manner not available before, the determinants and effects of non-institutional market making (or scalping).
|Date of creation:||16 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616-8578|
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J & Miller, Merton H, 1988.
" Liquidity and Market Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 617-37, July.
- Gregory J. Kuserk & Peter R. Locke, 1993. "Scalper behavior in futures markets: An empirical examination," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 409-431, 06.
- Harold Demsetz, 1968. "The Cost of Transacting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 82(1), pages 33-53.
- Silber, William L, 1984. " Marketmaker Behavior in an Auction Market: An Analysis of Scalpers in Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 937-53, September.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1979. "Structural Organization of Secondary Markets: Clearing Frequency, Dealer Activity and Liquidity Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(3), pages 577-93, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cda:wpaper:02-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Scott Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.