Exploiting infinite variance through Dummy Variables in non-stationary autoregressions
We consider estimation and testing infinite-order autoregressive models with a (near) unit root and infinite-variance innovations. We study the asymptotic properties of estimators obtained by dummying out ?large?innovations, i.e., exceeding a given threshold. These estimators reflect the common practice of dealing with large residuals by including impulse dummies in the estimated regression. Iterative versions of the dummy-variable estimator are also discussed. We provide conditions on the preliminary parameter estimator and on the threshold which ensure that (i) the dummy-based estimator is consistent at higher rates than the OLS estimator, (ii) an asymptotically normal test statistic for the unit root hypothesis can be derived, and (iii) order of magnitude gains of local power are obtained.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0 51 209.82.01
Fax: +39 0 51 23.21.53
Web page: http://www.stat.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Santos & David Hendry & Soren Johansen, 2008.
"Automatic selection of indicators in a fully saturated regression,"
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 317-335, April.
- David Hendry & Søren Johansen & Carlos Santos, 2008. "Automatic selection of indicators in a fully saturated regression," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 337-339, April.
- Bent Nielsen & Eric Engler, 2007.
"The empirical process of autoregressive residuals,"
2007-W01, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2011.
"Asymptotic theory for iterated one-step Huber-skip estimators,"
11-29, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2011. "Asymptotic theory for iterated one-step Huber-skip estimators," CREATES Research Papers 2011-40, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Resnick, Sidney & Greenwood, Priscilla, 1979. "A bivariate stable characterization and domains of attraction," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 206-221, June.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Georgiev, Iliyan, 2009. "Robust Inference In Autoregressions With Multiple Outliers," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1625-1661, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bot:quadip:118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrica Zani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.