Aggregating Money Demand in Europe with a Divisia Index
Proponents of an aggregation theoretic approach to money demand argue that simple-sum measures do not capture the theoretical notion of money. This is especially true for broad monetary aggregates, which include components held for savings motives that are only imperfect substitutes for transactions media. Simple-sum monetary aggregates thus are not consistent with microeconomic theory. Monetary aggregation in Europe using indices for monetary services seems attractive because these indices can account for the imperfect substitutability between different currencies. In this paper the aggregation theoretic framework is applied to money holdings of European residents and the resulting index is compared to simple-sum M3.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 1990. "A dispersion-dependency diagnostic test for aggregation error : With applications to monetary economics and income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 5-34.
- Daniel L. Thornton & Piyu Yue, 1992. "An extended series of divisia monetary aggregates," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 35-52.
- William A. Barnett & Yi Liu, 1996.
"The CAPM-Extended Divisia Monetary Aggregate with Exact Tracking under Risk,"
- William Barnett & Yi Liu, 2012. "The CAPM-Extended Divisia Monetary Aggregate with Exact Tracking under Risk," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201213, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Jerome L. Stein, 1994.
"Can the central bank achieve price stability?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 175-203.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry E. Jones & Travis D. Nesmith, 1996. "Building new monetary services indices: methodology and source data," Working Papers 1996-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William A. Barnett, 1996.
"Which Road Leads to Stable Money Demand?,"
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "EGTEST: RATS procedure to compute Engle-Granger test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00061, Boston College Department of Economics.
- William Barnett & Barry E. Jones & Travis D. Nesmith, 2008. "Divisia Second Moments: An Application of Stochastic Index Number Theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200803, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Mahmood Pradhan & Huw Pill, 1994. "Monetary Aggregation; A Reconciliation of Theory and Central Bank Practice," IMF Working Papers 94/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & John C. Driscoll & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Money, Output and Prices: Evidence from A New Monetary Aggregate,"
NBER Working Papers
3824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Driscoll, John C & Poterba, James M, 1995. "Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 67-83, January.
- Rotemberg, J.J. & Driscoll, J.C. & Poterba, J.M., 1991. "Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate," Working papers 585, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Timothy D. Lane, 1990. "Economic and Monetary Integration and the Aggregate Demand for Money in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 777-805, December.
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Paul R Masson & Marcel Cassard & Timothy D. Lane, 1994. "ERM Money Supplies and the Transition to EMU," IMF Working Papers 94/1, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonsfb:392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.