The Stability of European Money Demand: An Investigation of M3H
The paper assesses the stability and predictive performance of a European money demand function as compared to national money demand functions. Two different groups of countries for a monetary union are considered. With respect to the explanatory accuracy, the national functions perform better than the aggregated function though the difference is barely significant. Examination of the residuals of the national money demand equations indicates that currency substitution is not the major cause for the stability of the aggregated money demand function.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
NBER Working Papers
1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Scholarly Articles 3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Clive W. J. Granger, 1988. "Aggregation of time series variables-a survey," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 1, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Cottarelli, Carlo & Levy, Aviram, 1994. "Cross-border deposits, aggregation, and money demand in the transition to EMU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 27-54, February.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Monticelli, Carlo & Strauss-Kahn, Marc-Olivier, 1993.
"European Integration and the Demand for Broad Money,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 61(4), pages 345-366, December.
- Carlo Monticelli & Marc-Olivier Strauss-Kahn, 1992. "European integration and the demand for broad money," BIS Working Papers 18, Bank for International Settlements.
- Timothy D. Lane & Stephen S. Poloz, 1992. "Currency Substitution and Cross-Border Monetary Aggregation; Evidence From the G-7," IMF Working Papers 92/81, .
- Wesche, Katrin, 1996. "Aggregation Bias in Estimating European Money Demand Functions," Discussion Paper Serie B 393, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G & Kumar, Mohan S, 1989.
"Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 861-888, July.
- M. H. Pesaran & R. G. Pierse & M. S. Kumar, 1988. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," UCLA Economics Working Papers 485, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hoffman, Dennis L. & Rasche, Robert H. & Tieslau, Margie A., 1995. "The stability of long-run money demand in five industrial countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 317-339, April.
- Dolado, Juan J & Jenkinson, Tim & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1990. " Cointegration and Unit Roots," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 249-273.
- Giucca, P. & Levy, A., 1992. "Monetary Aggregates and Monetary Policy Coordination on the Way to Economi c and Monetary Union: The Role of Cross-Border Deposits," Papers 162, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Martin Falk & Norbert Funke, 1995. "The stability of money demand in Germany and in the EMS: Impact of German unification," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 131(3), pages 470-488, September.
- Bayoumi, Tamim A & Kenen, Peter B, 1993. "How Useful Is an EC-Wide Monetary Aggregate as an Intermediate Target for Europe?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 209-220, October.
- Lee, Kevin C & Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G, 1990. "Testing for Aggregation Bias in Linear Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 137-150, Supplemen.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- James M. Boughton, 1991. "Long-Run Money Demand in Large Industrial Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Edwards, John B & Orcutt, Guy H, 1969. "Should Aggregation Prior to Estimation Be the Rule?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 409-420, November.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Timothy D. Lane, 1990. "Economic and Monetary Integration and the Aggregate Demand for Money in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 777-805, December.
- Marianne Schulze-Gattas & Anne Marie Gulde, 1992. "Aggregation of Economic Indicators Across Countries; Exchange Rate versus PPP Based GDP Weights," IMF Working Papers 92/36, .
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonsfb:337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.