An Experiment on the Pure Theory of Consumer's Behaviour
By checking whether consumer demand satis es the axioms of revealed preference, one can test the empirical validity of the neoclassical theory of consumer behaviour. However, applying the axioms to actual consumer purchase data is di cult, if not impossible, since serious problems of both a methodological and practical nature arise. This paper, after commenting on the few previous empirical studies, reports an experimental approach to revealed preference theory. Data were obtained through a controlled experiment that involved real consumption of the goods chosen. We nd that our subjects often violated the axioms.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haerdle,W. Hildenbrand,W. Jerison,M., 1988.
"Empirical evidence on the law of demand,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
193, University of Bonn, Germany.
- HARDLE, Wolfgang & HILDENBRAND, Werner & JERISON, Michael, "undated". "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," CORE Discussion Papers RP 968, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Afriat, S N, 1973. "On a System of Inequalities in Demand Analysis: An Extension of the Classical Method," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 460-72, June.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1990.
"Distinguished Fellow: Houthakker's Contributions to Economics,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Pollak, R.A., 1990. "Distinguished Floow: Houthakker'S Contributions To Economics," Working Papers 90-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- K. R. MacCrimmon & M. Toda, 1969. "The Experimental Determination of Indifference Curves," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(4), pages 433-451.
- Matzkin, Rosa L. & Richter, Marcel K., 1991.
"Testing strictly concave rationality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 287-303, April.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-973, July.
- Mossin, Axel, 1972. "A Mean Demand Function and Individual Demand Functions Confronted with the Weak and the Strong Axioms of Revealed Preference: An Empirical Test," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(1), pages 177-192, January.
- Knetsch, Jack L., 1992. "Preferences and nonreversibility of indifference curves," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 131-139, January.
- Jerison, David & Jerison, Michael, 1993.
"Approximately Rational Consumer Demand,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(2), pages 217-241, April.
- Polemarchakis, H.M., "undated".
"Expectations, demand, and observability,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
532, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chalfant, James A & Alston, Julian M, 1988. "Accounting for Changes in Tastes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 391-410, April.
- Aurelio Mattei, 1994. "La cohérence des choix des consommateurs suisses," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(I), pages 3-20, March.
- Koo, Anthony Y C & Hasenkamp, Georg, 1972. "Structure of Revealed Preference: Some Preliminary Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 724-744, July-Aug..
- Battalio, Raymond C, et al, 1981. "Commodity-Choice Behavior with Pigeons as Subjects," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(1), pages 67-91, February.
- Kagel, John H, et al, 1975. "Experimental Studies of Consumer Demand Behavior Using Laboratory Animals," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(1), pages 22-38, March.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1973. "Behaviour and the Concept of Preference," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 40(159), pages 241-59, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonsfb:274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.