A Discrete Time Approach for European and American Barrier Options
The extension of the Black-Scholes option pricing theory to the valuation of barrier options is reconsidered. Working in the binomial framework of CRR we show how various types of barrier options can be priced either by backward induction or by closed binomial formulas. We also consider analytically and numerically the convergence of the prices in discrete time to their continuous-time limits. The arising numerical problems are solved by quadratic interpolation. Furthermore, the case of American barrier options is analyzed in detail. For American barrier call options, binomial formulae and their limit results are given. Finally, the binomial approach is applied to contracts with local and partial barrier checks.(Completely revised version march 1995)
|Date of creation:||Mar 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Rendleman, Richard J, Jr & Bartter, Brit J, 1979. "Two-State Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1093-1110, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Reimer, Matthias & Klaus Sandmann, 1993. "Down-and-out Call - Bewertungstheorie, numerische Verfahren und Simulationsstudie," Discussion Paper Serie B 239, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-367, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Goldman, M Barry & Sosin, Howard B & Gatto, Mary Ann, 1979. "Path Dependent Options: "Buy at the Low, Sell at the High"," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1111-1127, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonsfb:272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.