On the Dynamic Efficiency of the Market System
We introduce a framework of development in which the direction of change is determined endogenously. Which new products, which new qualities and which new techniques are introduced in the course of development is determined by the profitability of different potential innovations. We define a concept of long-run efficiency of development which formalizes a widespread notion of `dynamic efficiency'. The concept merely excludes persistent inefficiencies. We finally give conditions that guarantee long-run efficiency of laissez-faire development. This formalizes a popular claim about the dynamic efficiency of the market system, and, at the same time, makes more precise the limits to the claim.
|Date of creation:||May 1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Funk,Peter, 1991.
"Bertrand and Walras euilibria in large economies,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
348, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Novshek, William & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1980. "Small efficient scale as a foundation for Walrasian equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 243-255, April.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992.
"A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Funk,Peter, 1993. "The direction of technological change," Discussion Paper Serie A 393, University of Bonn, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonsfa:507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.