Perfect Competition in a Bilateral Monopoly
We show that if limit orders are required to vary smoothly, then strategic (Nash) equilibria of the double auction mechanism yield competitive (Walras) allocations. It is not necessary to have competitors on any side of any market: smooth trading is a substitute for price wars. Inparticular, Nash equilibria are Walrasian even in a bilateral monopoly.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MERTENS , Jean-François, 1996.
"The limit-price mechanism,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Sahi, Siddhartha & Yao, Shuntian, 1989. "The non-cooperative equilibria of a trading economy with complete markets and consistent prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 325-346, September.
- Bulow, Jeremy I, 1982. "Durable-Goods Monopolists," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 314-32, April.
- Maskin, Eric, 1999.
"Nash Equilibrium and Welfare Optimality,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(1), pages 23-38, January.
- Eric Maskin, 1998. "Nash Equilibrium and Welfare Optimality," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1829, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pradeep Dubey, 1979.
"Price-Quantity Strategic Market Games,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
520, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1980. "Noncooperative approaches to the theory of perfect competition: Presentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 121-135, April.
- Schmeidler, David, 1980. "Walrasian Analysis via Strategic Outcome Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1585-93, November.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Mas-Colell, Andreau & Shubik, Martin, 1980. "Efficiency properties of strategies market games: An axiomatic approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 339-362, April.
- Hurwicz, L, 1979. "Outcome Functions Yielding Walrasian and Lindahl Allocations at Nash Equilibrium Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 217-25, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse26_2003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.